Wildlife Refuge Hunts

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
I've been curious about NWR hunting permits and opportunities. My understanding is the permit is processed and approved, paid for, all through the US Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries and NOT the NC Wildlife Commission,

My question - has anybody hunted one of these? Pocosin, Alligator River, etc? Are the permits a lottery draw? How easy is access? I know Pocosin has some flooded fields

I've done similar hunts in Virginia but this has been 15+ years ago. Appreciate any input

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Some federal refuges do have draw hunts, some are open to hunting, some have restricted areas. Best thing to do would be to look up each refuge you have questions about, the info is there.

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Hey thanks. I was looking at Pocosin, it looks like they have some limited waterfowl hunting (November only) - and not on the lakes, but flooded fields. Was thinking that would be a fun hunt, and with a swan tag may have some luck there.

Gus

Six Pointer
Normally November is not ideal for swan numbers- some here but not peak. However this year there is a pile of swan down already....

dunno

Spike
Hey thanks. I was looking at Pocosin, it looks like they have some limited waterfowl hunting (November only) - and not on the lakes, but flooded fields. Was thinking that would be a fun hunt, and with a swan tag may have some luck there.

Pocosin is open the entire waterfowl season in limited areas to everyone. You have to download or pick up the the hunting leaflet they have and sign it. Be careful as many areas are prohibited, read the packet in full and understand the boundaries. Also be sure to have a almost full tank of gas in the truck, it is massive. A 4wd truck is highly recommend.

Doesn't sound like you have been to pocosin before but they really aren't flooded fields. Do not expect a impoundment... Imagine a thicket or few year old cutover. It is a pocosin by definition (different kind of habitat for sure)

Personally if I had a swan permit I would go on the public open waters in the 30 miles radius or so around there.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process or area.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
The flooded fields at Pocosin NWR are on the Pungo Unit. You can't hunt waterfowl in them.

Same at Alligator River NWR, there's flooded fields but you can't hunt them.

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
The flooded fields at Pocosin NWR are on the Pungo Unit. You can't hunt waterfowl in them.

Same at Alligator River NWR, there's flooded fields but you can't hunt them.

I looked at an aerial map and looks like some pocosin area outside of the Pungo unit, that is open to waterfowl.

But it sounds like overall not an ideal place. I just figured it'd be a cool spot to try, but I do agree open water nearby would be ideal. I may plan a trip out there next year for two days and hunt some spots I have access too nearby and make a morning out there. Appreciate the input

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Pocosin is open the entire waterfowl season in limited areas to everyone. You have to download or pick up the the hunting leaflet they have and sign it.
You also have to have the $15 permit that is issued at the pocosin office in columbia if you hunt on the refuge