Wild Blackberries

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My grandmother loved blackberries. Some of my fondest memories are picking blackberries with her and other family. I like blackberry cobbler, jam or jelly; however, my favorite was eating them hot as my grandmother was cooking them down. Throw in a little vanilla ice cream, oh my what a bowl of greatness.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve always held a theory that men may have the ability to “taste” ether than women. I don’t know if there is any science to back it up, but I’ve noticed that many males I am around can distinguish individual flavors in a cooked dish more than the women I am around.

Not trying to be sexist, but I think some truth may be there.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you guys want a good easy to make pie, find a recipe for vinegar pie. It’s a very good dish but very rich. Good desert or quick breakfast slice like a tart.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve always held a theory that men may have the ability to “taste” ether than women. I don’t know if there is any science to back it up, but I’ve noticed that many males I am around can distinguish individual flavors in a cooked dish more than the women I am around.

Not trying to be sexist, but I think some truth may be there.

I could buy that. Neither my mother nor my wife can taste how to season something precisely. I always have to taste it for them and tell them what it needs. Both of them are very good cooks, but when it comes to getting the seasoning just right, they can't taste it.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Why do young women have to do it? I taught myself when I was single. Seems like if an inept person like I could learn it most anyone could. Quite frankly if you follow the directions it isn't that hard. Once you get that down pat you learn to substitute butter and lard here and there and really refine flaky.
I like to cook, and I definitely like to eat! Learned to cook a lot of things when I was single. Never tried my hand at pies or cakes. May be time to experiment.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Why do young women have to do it? I taught myself when I was single. Seems like if an inept person like I could learn it most anyone could. Quite frankly if you follow the directions it isn't that hard. Once you get that down pat you learn to substitute butter and lard here and there and really refine flaky.

I agree. Everyone should know how to cook. And if you can read, you can cook.

witler

Eight Pointer
I have fond memories of Mom's blackberry pie and preserves..on a warm homemade biscuit.
Downside to picking them..redbugs and more dang snakes.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Is blackberry wine fairly easy to make? Do you have a recipe?

I use 100% blackberry juice, yeast suited for cabernet or merlot and add enough sugar to get a 12.5-13.5 % alcohol content. You'll need a couple of specialized tools to read the sugar and alcohol content as well as a fermenting bucket, 6/7 gallon glass bottle (carboy), air lock system, siphon and cork seater. I've been making wine for about 30 years so have accumulated all the gear necessary.

Some people like their blackberry wine to have a little sweetness but I vint mine dry.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree, looks like a flop, throw it out..better yet I'll come by and dispose of it for you. Very tasty looking pie.
Personally I like solid tops, that one was my first like that. It wasn't bad, like I said it was just in the oven about 3 mins too long. Every oven cooks a little different.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Pick me 12#s and I will trade you 6 bottles of wine in 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also have persimmon trees around here that I've picked the last 2 autumns/winters. Have you ever done persimmon wine? I tried to do a persimmon pudding the first season, but it was a big fail since I cut the sugar content. Lesson learned. :p

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
We also have persimmon trees around here that I've picked the last 2 autumns/winters. Have you ever done persimmon wine? I tried to do a persimmon pudding the first season, but it was a big fail since I cut the sugar content. Lesson learned. :p

I have not. As I’ve heard any little skin pieces make it bitter. Going though the work of skinning and seeding seems not worth the trouble.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have not. As I’ve heard any little skin pieces make it bitter. Going though the work of skinning and seeding seems not worth the trouble.

We always use cheese cloth. Skins and seeds stay inside, persimmon pulps filters on out.
Never made wine with it, never enough left after making pudding.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
there were tons of them in the right of way behind my house.......then duke power contractors came in and cut all of the bamboo and sprayed some nasty stuff on the whole piece....they are growing back now, but im afraid to touch em..