Why is it?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
why is it that only old retired people have fixed incomes?

I'm salaried, I make the same thing every week. My wife makes the same thing every month.

To me, my income is fixed.

Is my income not fixed?

I'm just asking why is that term directed to retired folks on SS or disability?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
what's the difference between my set salary and that?

Set salary you have to provide a service for pay then if you lose or leave your job you no longer receive the income.

You do not provide a service to be compensated with Fixed Income. You previously pay into a fund or have various investments that have matured and receive a payout.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Set salary you have to provide a service for pay then if you lose or leave your job you no longer receive the income.

You do not provide a service to be compensated with Fixed Income. You previously pay into a fund or have various investments that have matured and receive a payout.
I know all that.

It just bugs me that when you hear the term "Fixed Income" it's always about old people or folks on disability. Yes, they receive the same income month after month, but so do I. My income is fixed. Should be retirement income.

Anyway, how's that hook in your mouth. :fishing:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'll bite. Supplement, that salary by selling worms at Walmart. Then it ain't fixed any more. Old people or DSS are people who can't work to supplement there income, Fixed. Not all in those groups have fixed incomes cause they can work to some degree. There now it's FIXED. Just hope is catch and release, throw this trash fish back.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am in that group you refer to as fixed income. As a salaried employee, I would have been in the group you also refer to as fixed income. But never in my life have I ever been on truly fixed income and neither have most folks unless they chose to limit there earnings to the fixed amount.

Yes, I am now retired and my fixed income comes in every month based on what I did during my working years. But it does not mean that it is the only source I have of support. I really could care less about what it is called as long as you do not call it entitlement. That will get my dander up in a heartbeat!

Don't like living on a fixed income......do something about it. Dang sure is not a shortage of jobs or opportunities.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@bwfarms , I really wasn't trolling, but you seemed to take it good.

@woodmoose says it better me.

@nccatfisher made the comment in the deperation thread about him having a fixed income. But like it has been said about additional income. I remember all the dog boxes that he made. That cancels out the "fixed income" part.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
actually, the ONLY time I have ever felt I was truly on a "fixed income" was when I was in the military, and you couldn't even have a part time job without CO approval, and the unit(s) I was in that was a blanket "NO"

now it's different - see folks doing all kinds of "after duty gigs"