Why I dont debone when packing out deer

np307

Ten Pointer
I know some people like to debone the meat when they are packing out deer. I can understand the weight savings, but I don't personally because of making stock. With the bones from the quarters of a deer, you can make a gallon of fairly strong stock. I prefer to make stock using the pressure cooker. Throw the bones in plus whatever vegetables you prefer (for a meatier tasting stock, brown everything first) and roll at the highest pressure for an hour or so. Strain it off, let the stock cool to bring any fat to the top so you can skim it off, and you're ready to store.

If you don't have a canner, the best way to store stock is using freezer bags. Put however much you want in a bag, get all the air out, and lay it flat in the freezer. That way you can quickly thaw it when you need it. I prefer to can it though so it's just as convenient as store bought stock.

20221129_190016.jpg

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Save our root veg trimmings and peels throughout the year just for this.

We roast the bones with salt and oil, then simmer in the 23 qt canner all day. Skim it every hour or so. Add veggies/peels at the 6-8 hr mark and let it go another couple hrs. Strain it, season to taste and pressure can.

Stays liquid in the cabinet but goes to jello in the fridge😎 That good stick to your ribs drink a mug when your sick kinda broth💪5BDDDE79-56F6-4C58-920F-EC14A581595D.jpeg

np307

Ten Pointer
Save our root veg trimmings and peels throughout the year just for this.

We roast the bones with salt and oil, then simmer in the 23 qt canner all day. Skim it every hour or so. Add veggies/peels at the 6-8 hr mark and let it go another couple hrs. Strain it, season to taste and pressure can.

Stays liquid in the cabinet but goes to jello in the fridge😎 That good stick to your ribs drink a mug when your sick kinda broth💪View attachment 105311
You ever tried a side-by-side comparison of a stock done the long simmer way vs one pressure cooked at 10+ psi? I find them identical, if the pressure cooked one isn't a little better. Way faster too.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
You ever tried a side-by-side comparison of a stock done the long simmer way vs one pressure cooked at 10+ psi? I find them identical, if the pressure cooked one isn't a little better. Way faster too.

Nah, I’ve got a stay at home woman that takes care of it. I just run the canner when I get home😂

Got another 12qts getting jarred in a bit, and probably 12 more tomorrow👍

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
16 more qts last night. Had to freeze 2…ain’t running another canner for that😂

On a side…better watch those Ball lids. We had 4 straight boxes be short. 11x3, and one with only 8😡

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
If you dont have the room keep going with it and make Demi-glace. I take mine all the way down to jelly and freeze in ice cube trays. Add a cube to any recipe that calls for stock, quick gravy, add a few cubes to a pot of water and you have stock again.

np307

Ten Pointer
If you dont have the room keep going with it and make Demi-glace. I take mine all the way down to jelly and freeze in ice cube trays. Add a cube to any recipe that calls for stock, quick gravy, add a few cubes to a pot of water and you have stock again.
Yep, definitely a great alternative. Very convenient to have on hand, even when you have jars of the non-reduced stock.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
How many hours of simmering does it take to reduce it that much?
Hard to say, depends on the volume of stock and pot size. Usually well over a day for a stock pot. The trick to good Demi glacé is to have enough collagen from bones and tendons that you’ll get jelly from it. When it costs the back of a spoon it should turn to jelly when it cools if you’ve done it right.