Why Boom then Decline after Restocking?

billyf

Six Pointer
Yep good idea . To make a dent in the coon/fox/skunk /grinner etc. population in NC we would have to increase the price per tail and have a budget of multi million dollars .
I wonder how the wildlife budgets compare between SD and NC. In other words: $500k / total SD wildlife budget equals a percentage. If we use the same percentage of NC's wildlife budget would the number be larger or smaller than $500,000..

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I wonder how the wildlife budgets compare between SD and NC. In other words: $500k / total SD wildlife budget equals a percentage. If we use the same percentage of NC's wildlife budget would the number be larger or smaller than $500,000..
Yep I see your point. But is not 5000 coons @ $10 each not 50k . But I am no biologist .o_O

Last edited:

billyf

Six Pointer
Yep I see your point. But is not 5000 coons @ $10 each not 50k . But I am no biologist .o_O
yes 50k not 5k. Sorry for the bad math.. Attached is article about the SD program.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On predators I would offer this.... I don't consider myself a real trapper but I do get the license and trap some- beavers mostly. This past season I bought some dog proof traps and set for the raccoons and caught 11. These traps are simple to set and very effective at taking raccoons, though they are a little pricy. Given that they will keep working for many years that issue won't matter much so if you have raccoons (and I know that you do) why not set a few of these traps next trapping season and maybe we can reduce the egg loss just a little.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
And what would be the solution, but killing the predators ?
Yes. But it would be something that state agencies wouldn’t ever push because of the fertile ground for law suits by those who make a living at such things. There are those that specialize on suing government agencies…so I doubt it would ever be pushed