Why banning baiting to reduce CWD won't work

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry for stealing your pic, but didn't want to steal the thread either, but this is why banning baiting won't work to control CWD, deer are a very social animal

Is anyone in NC, excluding CRC, actually talking about banning baiting to prevent CWD spread? Since it has not been found in our herd, the only significant risk of disease spread to NC deer is from importation of deer, carcasses, or infected attractants.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The WRC does not have the authority to outlaw deer baiting.

Only the politicians do and they had a speaker talking about CWD 2-3 weeks ago.

No mention of any action related to CWD from the 16 West Jones Street, Raleigh

Last edited:

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Is anyone in NC, excluding CRC, actually talking about banning baiting to prevent CWD spread? Since it has not been found in our herd, the only significant risk of disease spread to NC deer is from importation of deer, carcasses, or infected attractants.

I’m not a worried about CWD, but with the limited sample of deer tested every year, I would not be surprised that CWD is already here we just haven’t confirmed it yet. At my MO house they found CWD and baiting and minerals were one of the first things outlawed, so it can happen rather quickly if they decide to go that route.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
It’s outlawed “during season” in VA but not during off season... makes no sense!!

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Its outlawed year around in VA counties that have CWD confirmed
Correct but again.. still stupid

Since when do deer know and follow county boundaries

Even better.. we hunt Grayson county which borders Alleghany county Nc.. sure hope those deer got the memo about not crossing state lines