why aren't we perfecting

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
the sabot for centerfire ammunition?

Lord knows the military has a few toys in this genre.

Remington had the saboted 30-30 ammo years ago, (The Accelerator) and I thought it worked fine for the couple boxes I have. Was it inaccurate on the whole, or did it underperform?

With muzzleloading rounds of a saboted nature being the shizzle, I figure its time that men get back to doing the "just cause we can" thing, and produce a .204 I can shoot from my 45-70.

Ok, maybe just get back to using 30 cal sabots, and find a manly use for all those 6.5 creedmore bullets.....

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Generally, I think people found they weren't doing well past 100 yds, accuracy or energy wise, but feel free to fact check me. That is going off all of the slap round videos I periodically watch on youtube (there is .300 wm/.22 one that is quite stunning).

That and the Kentucky Ballistics incident a little while back, I doubt any major ammo manufacturer is going to try it again any time soon.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Holy crap.
Exactly, A whole lot of grace from above and some great doctors are the only reason he's alive.

Mark Serbu, who owns Serbu firearms took a lot of heat for it too. If I remember correctly, it turned out to be an ammunition issue. Can't remember what exactly about it, either it was degraded powder or sabot from being >50 years old, or a bubba gun show fake. Something led to another and caused a chamber pressure spike in excess of 2x the proof pressure, like 120-160kpsi.

Because of the small chance that the sabot may be a factor, I wouldn't expect anyone to try anything new soon.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Wouldn't the plastic have implications for barrel life/maintenance?

Also, it seems to be superfluous in a rifle, the chamber/throat centers the bullet just fine.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
There was a feller in our hunting club that tried one of those Accelerators out on a deer. Didn’t work worth a damn. LOOONG blood trail and required a follow up shot.
I pulled a "pro shot" with one, i.e. it froze up and fell over dead, right there.

But then again, 22 cals on cervids have always been a "speed kills" - CNS/neck shot deal for me, and this was no different.

He was walking straight at me, nose to the ground and I aimed right behind the base of the skull.

Bang, boing, flop.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I pulled a "pro shot" with one, i.e. it froze up and fell over dead, right there.

But then again, 22 cals on cervids have always been a "speed kills" - CNS/neck shot deal for me, and this was no different.

He was walking straight at me, nose to the ground and I aimed right behind the base of the skull.

Bang, boing, flop.
This one was broadside about 50-60 yards away from him IIRC. I put a follow up shot on it with my .300 Win Mag. It flopped right there then.

The Accelerator penetrated about 3” or so, a one lung hit. After he jumped the deer the first time, he came and asked me for help. I jumped the deer twice more. I put a 165 gr Ballistic Tip in his cranium as he tried to get up out of his third bed.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Bang, boing, flop.

it's like my 17 HMR on hogs,,, all in the "where" you put that little frag grenade

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
This one was broadside about 50-60 yards away from him IIRC. I put a follow up shot on it with my .300 Win Mag. It flopped right there then.

The Accelerator penetrated about 3” or so, a one lung hit. After he jumped the deer the first time, he came and asked me for help. I jumped the deer twice more. I put a 165 gr Ballistic Tip in his cranium as he tried to get up out of his third bed.
Head shot with a win mag. Went for the uber pink mist effect.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Wouldn't the plastic have implications for barrel life/maintenance?

Also, it seems to be superfluous in a rifle, the chamber/throat centers the bullet just fine.
It's suppose to increase barrel life, compared to light for caliber bullets going metal on metal for 3500+fps

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
It's suppose to increase barrel life, compared to light for caliber bullets going metal on metal for 3500+fps
I think that would be one of those things that would be true only in a vacuum. The practical challenges of removing burnt plastic would negate any lack of wear on the rifling.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I think that would be one of those things that would be true only in a vacuum. The practical challenges of removing burnt plastic would negate any lack of wear on the rifling.
Assuming the plastic burns. Modern sabots don't usually have that problem, unless you are talking about the cheap ones in MLs. Rifle sabots are a different polymer, they need to be to tolerate the increased pressure.

I work with plastics every day that are good to 400 degrees F long term, a millisecond scale flash would have to be dramatically higher to burn instantaneously.

To be fair, plastic is also probably easier to scrap out than metal fouling.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Assuming the plastic burns. Modern sabots don't usually have that problem, unless you are talking about the cheap ones in MLs. Rifle sabots are a different polymer, they need to be to tolerate the increased pressure.

I work with plastics every day that are good to 400 degrees F long term, a millisecond scale flash would have to be dramatically higher to burn instantaneously.

To be fair, plastic is also probably easier to scrap out than metal fouling.

Is powder coating materials essentially a plastic or different altogether?

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
plus the metal on metal of copper on steel provides very little of the actual wear in a barrel.
The hot gases under pressure are what erodes the throat and start of the rifling.