Why are the licenses such poor quality?

What do you guys do so that your hunting/fishing licenses last the whole year?

Been in NC for almost a decade. When I first moved here, I assumed they were on the verge of going completely digital and that was the reason for the pathetic paper licenses/report cards.

By the end of hunting season, mine looks like hell. Luckily no one's ever asked for my license while fishing. Everywhere else I've hunted had waterproof, heavy duty licenses (sometimes back tags), and big game tags.

Does everyone on here own a laminating machine or what?

Mike

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I use one of those plastic fishing license holders and it’s holds up pretty good for the year. Except last year when a 6ft bank I was fishing from broke loose and I ended up neck deep in the water. Can’t blame the NCWRC for that one tho...or can I?

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Been in NC for almost a decade. When I first moved here, I assumed they were on the verge of going completely digital and that was the reason for the pathetic paper licenses/report cards.

By the end of hunting season, mine looks like hell. Luckily no one's ever asked for my license while fishing. Everywhere else I've hunted had waterproof, heavy duty licenses (sometimes back tags), and big game tags.

Mike
I always laminate mine...and you don't need a machine.
Juat buy a pack of laminating sheets at an office supply store.
Peel the back off one sheet...lay your license on it (after you sign it).
Then peel off another sheet and stick it on top of the first sheet.
Trim away the excess with a pair of scissors, done.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I always laminate mine...and you don't need a machine.
Juat buy a pack of laminating sheets at an office supply store.
Peel the back off one sheet...lay your license on it (after you sign it).
Then peel off another sheet and stick it on top of the first sheet.
Trim away the excess with a pair of scissors, done.
Great idea

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I just put mine in a small zip lock bag with a pen and fold it up into a pocket of my pack. Never had an issue with it. I've also used the plastic license holders.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I carry mine in my wallet and have never had a problem with them holding up or being unreadable. The NC License is printed on better paper stock than many states that use standard cheap paper stock. Other states use better stock if you buy in person but if online, you have to print them on your own paper, even tags that are required to be attached at kill site.

I actually like the electronic version where available. Save a copy of the file so you can show it if you do not have cell service. Works fine.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I carry mine in a wallet that I just use for hunting and fishing. No issue with it. I also carry other state hunting licenses as well as any permission slips and my federal duck stamp.

Thanks for the ideas. I usually ziploc mine but between rain, sweat, and on rare occasion blood, they have gotten pretty terrible.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Never had a problem with them.
Did you print it from home and not tags or HL they send out?

I take the cheap way out. After I get it and sign and attach the stamps needed I use packing tape accross the front and part of the back. Then tape the tags and fold so they are always attached and folded between the HL. Been doing this for 30 plus years.

Being I may fish, hunt or boat on short notice I keep it in my pocket.

Last edited:

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Carry in my wallet, in a little protective sleeve that the local ace hardware had made. Haven’t gone to brick & mortar to renew license in several years though. Little pouch still holding up good 👍

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Leave em at home 🤣. I think I carried mine for 2017-2018, because I bought in a tackle shop. Couldn’t tell you where my current ones are. Probably in that stack of bank statements at home that I never do anything with. 🤷🏼‍♂️

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I feel like it would be worth the $.50 to spring for some write-in-the-rain paper. I don't have a problem though, since it is replaced every year.

The Lifetime cards are not any better. I used to carry mine, but after the 3rd or 4th one cracked, I quit. Never had a credit card or DL crack. Not one. But whatever the WRC uses is not up to daily carry.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I carry mine in my wallet, with no issues. Maybe you’re just hard on a license :oops:

Reactions: DRS

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I've always used an orange/clear plastic license holder. I keep it in my backpack which is always with me when I hunt. Works great.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Had to pick mine up at walmart this year. It is usually printed on a heavy weight paper. This time it was on standard printer paper. What the heck.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

Mike
I'll take our flimsy paper deals versus a back tag. F that. :)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Had to pick mine up at walmart this year. It is usually printed on a heavy weight paper. This time it was on standard printer paper. What the heck.

Should not have been. They must not know or care to use the correct paper or too Damn cheap to buy it from NCWRC.

Maybe part of there roll back in prices. The cheap out and you pay the price.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We went to buy our license from Walmart and their machine was down, the lady said to buy it online and when the system was back up they would print our license and tags. When I went back I spoke to the same lady who told me that it would be $5 to print a "replacement" license. When I reminded her of the situation she said that was the only way they could print a license that had been bought somewhere else. My last trip to Walmart for licenses, I'm sure they're really sad about it.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Jeez. What are y’all doing? Y’all get’em out twice a week and play with’em?? Lol
I’ve Never had a issue. Tags stay folded until needed and license stays folded. I get the license out once to put a duck stamp on it then back it goes in the wallet. Tags are no different. I’ve got a NR lifetime now and I’ve had it for 6-7 years. It’s been out of my wallet maybe 3 times and one of those was because my wife bought me new wallet. Lol

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
not an issue for me. I usually lose at least two licenses a year ( misplaced is probably a better word) so I end up going to wally world to have them print up a new one for a few bucks....one bonus is that they always looks new....because they are.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Jeez. What are y’all doing? Y’all get’em out twice a week and play with’em?? Lol
I’ve Never had a issue. Tags stay folded until needed and license stays folded. I get the license out once to put a duck stamp on it then back it goes in the wallet. Tags are no different.

Some of us have to get them out to punch tags throughout the year and write confirmation numbers down. Some tags just stay in pristine condition, folded up in the wallet all of the time. ;)

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I use a small Ziploc bag, put license, tags, landowner permission, etc in the bag. I have started keeping an e-copy of permission forms on my phone. I mainly use the Ziploc bag to keep all docs in one place, and protect from rain.