Why 600 yard Shooting?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Since I consider myself a novice at long range shooting I am curious to know why everyone is shooting 600 yards? Youtube videos are 600 or a 1,000 or even beyond. Is 600 a standard competition distance? No one ever seems to shoot 500 yards? :confused:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
For hunting purposes, if you can nail it at 600, the NC woods will be a chip shot, which is the same reason one would practice 50+ yard archery shots, to only shoot a deer out to 35-40 max. If you're hunting the Midwest or western states, you could have opportunities for those shots more than you think. That can also be the case for NC/SC huge agricultural fields.

Other than that, they shoot at that distance because they can. Which I think would be fun!

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We've got a group in Pamlico County that shoot 1000-1200 regularly....and they could go much farther. Bean field guns.....

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I'm very comfortable out to 500 yards. I guess I need to crank it up a notch. ;) Any LR shooters in se NC? It would be fun to shoot with someone once in awhile.

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Highpower matches can go to 600 depending on the type of match.

CMP EIC (Excellence In Competition) shoot XTC (Across the Course). In order to go Distinguished you must earn leg points during EIC qualified matches. This is all open sights. There are only 7809 DR since 1891.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I enjoy shooting long range. I am comfortable with my .270 and 300 wsm at 500+ yards. I live in Carteret county and never have anyone to shoot with.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
For hunting purposes, if you can nail it at 600, the NC woods will be a chip shot, which is the same reason one would practice 50+ yard archery shots, to only shoot a deer out to 35-40 max. If you're hunting the Midwest or western states, you could have opportunities for those shots more than you think. That can also be the case for NC/SC huge agricultural fields.

Other than that, they shoot at that distance because they can. Which I think would be fun!

Many places in Eastern Nc where you can shoot at deer as far out as you want. I feel good with anything inside 500 and practice it often.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I found that getting comfortable at longer ranges makes me a better (ethical) hunter at closer ranges. Two to three hundred yards are pretty simple shots.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I think 600 and 1000 meters are standard comp

1000 yard has several classes of comps too. Personally, i like long range hunting for the added difficulty, its not for everyone though and it shouldn't be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Also I'm in Raleigh and like to plink with the 300 winmag and 338 lapua.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Also I'm in Raleigh and like to plink with the 300 winmag and 338 lapua.

When I hear the word "Plink", I never associate it with 300 Mag or 338 Lapua, but I get what you are saying.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Well plinking might just be a slight understatement but the recoil isnt bad so the only limit to how much you shoot is your wallet, those lapuas eat up some cash.