Whos planting.....

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I was hoping thing would be dried out enough for me to plant tomorrow before the next rain. I didn't plan on getting 3 inches last night. Oh well, maybe next week. Clover will still come up.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Shooting for Tuesday myself.hopefully the showers supposed to come through all week will get it all germinating before the turkeys get to it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Forage max wheat seed fr÷
Jug, what variety of wheat are you using? Is it awned/bearded or not?

Forage max wheat seed from Andrews farm and seed. Carthage farm supply carrys it. I think it's a soft red winter wheat. 15 bucks a bag

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
They finished seeding the gasline on our tract with browntop and white clover yesterday. I am going to go this afternoon to over seed it with Ladino. Cant wait to see how this works out.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Put out 150lbs of wheat & 10lbs of white clover & turnips. Also tried a bag of mix they had in, called Rays Crazy Mix..peas,clover & turnips with triticale & vetch.

Reactions: jug

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Planning to go to VA lease his Sat.. setup camp. Bow season begins next Sat.

Curious to see how the plots have held up with all this rain. The wheat and oats were 5” y’all a month ago. It’s either 3’ now OR laid down and rotten from all the rain.

Western VA has another flash flood warning tonight

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Over seeded the gas line yesterday afternoon after the rain. Seeded 35 lbs of Ladino . Should look good in the spring.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Over seeded the gas line yesterday afternoon after the rain. Seeded 35 lbs of Ladino . Should look good in the spring.
Thats alot of clover, how much acreage did you plant?
I need to find some Ladino just to hit some bare spots in a plot I have but not finding much around here.

sent from...... Tapatalk

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Thats alot of clover, how much acreage did you plant?
I need to find some Ladino just to hit some bare spots in a plot I have but not finding much around here.

sent from...... Tapatalk
Over seeded about 2 acres that the power company planted. I order mine in May or June because it is hard to get this time of year.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Smart man..... I have learned that it takes alot of ladino clover to seed a 1 acre plot in an area where you have a substantial deer population. I have seeded 20 pounds of crimson and 10 pounds of ladino clover up in Rockingham county last weekend in August. Over half of it is gone already. The deer started grazing it as soon as it germinated. All the crimson clover that was mixed in with my purple top turnips was totally gone.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah I’m curious to see how the white I planted is going to turn out.. last few yrs has just been rye/wheat & brassicas. The supply/demand for rye this year has changed my plans a bit.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Mine is hit and miss, I'm assuming the bare spots were from standing water during the hurricane.
e9927aaae7c1951a7e7e7cadb713fdff.jpg

sent from...... Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Man thats a killer looking spot.
We dont have any open spaces like that we can plant, I'm limited to fire lanes.

sent from...... Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Wish we had a powerline right of way......looks good buckshooter, what are you planting?

sent from...... Tapatalk

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I finally got started planting last week. Planted about 1.75 acres in 6 areas on 9/24 in Davidson County, planted about 2 acres in 6 areas on 9/25 in Stokes County and planted 2.5 acres in 3 areas on 10/3 in Cascade , VA. On 10/3 Davidson County plots were up about 4'' and Stokes County was up about 2''. Got another 1/2 acre plot to plant in lower Davidson County on Monday.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Buying some forage oats to try to get in before the rain this week. Hopefully it takes, currently we dont have a disc but i was gonna break the ground up as much as possible with our turf spiker and sow them on top. We mowed it last week and its pretty clean ground to have been grown up all summer. Probably run the spiker over them and try to drill them in best i can.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buying some forage oats to try to get in before the rain this week. Hopefully it takes, currently we dont have a disc but i was gonna break the ground up as much as possible with our turf spiker and sow them on top. We mowed it last week and its pretty clean ground to have been grown up all summer. Probably run the spiker over them and try to drill them in best i can.
Winter rye will germinate faster and easier than oats if you don't have a disc

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Harnett county plots are ready to hunt over

Attachments

• 20181028_141708.jpg
    20181028_141708.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20181028_140633.jpg
    20181028_140633.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 30

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
The dang turkeys found my food plot and have about destroyed it in VA. Time for more revenge #fallseason

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wish we had a fall season with a 20 turkey limit here. On our lease, we keep getting more turkeys and less deer each fall. Come spring they are nowhere to be found, but they can sure vacuum up the corn.

I did plant some oats here at the house today. It's been too wet to even try until now. Turned the dirt, and I'm just going to let the rain beat it in the ground. Those oats will sprout on gravel.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
The turkeys are just starting to hit the Cuffa a little . A little late for them because we have tons of acorns which are just starting to drop. That will take some pressure off our plots by both deer and turkeys. On a new note we have had a bear take up residence one the property. First one ever. landowner has put him off limits for now. Kind of a novelty for him!!.

Reactions: jug