Whos planting and what this Spring and Summer

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am planting chufa and buckwheat here in Harnett.
Gonna plant korean and Kobe lespedeza on the logging paths up at the Rock

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
We held off planting the last couple of weeks because of wet , colder than normal soil. Finally it get dry and warm enough to get things ready for this summer.

we planted 2 small plots in cow peas on Friday. Then went back yesterday and did the 2 biggest plots half in cow peas and half in buckwheat.

Looking like the rain will come in the first of this week in Milton.

Reactions: jug

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Planted this past week three plots in black oil sunflower,little sorghum and millet mixed in..three others iron and clay peas and sorghum,seeded in some millet in some extra strips.Going to put a little buckwheat along my driveway.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Sowing a chicory plot later this summer/fall....August -September. That is a big a draw like soybeans, in fact, our farmer just sowed soybeans May 14 and I am sowing the chicory right beside them. Doing a soil test now, spraying roundup to kill weeds, and will be preparing the soil little later. Saw a report few days ago that chicory is second behind soybeans as a deers favorite. Cowpeas is also good but I have found they eats them up as soon as they come out of the ground....good to bow hunt over.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I've already got 2 plots of durana clover thats doing great. One is on its 3rd year and one on its 4th. Planted a summer plot of buckwheat and clay peas couple days ago but with all this rain I probably wasted my time, we'll see.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I just sprayed all our clover fields to kill them. They are 5 years old now and starting tho die out. i will disk and kill them 2 more times and replant them in September. will be planting the Chufa and Millet the first of june.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I planted sunflowers and corn here on 5/9. Planted german foxtail millet on Sunday, trying to get it in before this rain. We got 2.09" overnight, with a lot more to come, I believe.

At the deer property, the farmers plant lots of beans, and we've got clover holdover in the plots. There's no real point in planting summer plots for us.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Planted corn from one hopper of the planter, and a mix of cowpeas and sunflowers in the other hopper.
They were all up as of last weekend. I was hoping to fertilize and cultivate this weekend,but that’s not going to happen with the rain. I did leave a few strips of clover and chicory in the food plots this year instead of tilling everything under.

Going to hand plant a few sweet potatoes left over form last year to see if they wil grow in the plots.

SM270

Ten Pointer
Went and check 3 week old plots today. Plants are coming through the ground but all this standing water is not helping at all!!!!!

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not planting anything right now. One farm I hunt is all beans this year, the other is planted in all corn. Should be an interesting year. Will plant some clover around September.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Finished planting the Millet and Chufa yesterday. Had to wait for the ground to dry out a little. Also disced up the clover fields. Will spray them again in a month then disc. Repeat as needed before I replant them at the end of September.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got a good stand of Whitetail Institute going. Deer are putting a hurting on it

Attachments

• 20200530_132634.jpg
    20200530_132634.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200530_132607.jpg
    20200530_132607.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 45

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got an early stand of sunflower at the house and on the powerline. Deer , quail, rabbits and turkeys have been raising in the cover crop. Pic today @ house

Attachments

• 20200610_200004.jpg
    20200610_200004.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 35

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finished planting today. Planted the chufa and buckwheat field last week and the squirrels are digging up the chufa faster than it can germinate. Planted the red ripper peas and buckwheat field today. Probably gonna lose a third of the chufa.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Finished planting today. Planted the chufa ande buckwheat field last week and the squirrels are digging up the chufa faster than it can germinate. Planted the red ripper peas and buckwheat field today. Probably gonna lose a third of the chufa.
Carefull with the Kobe lespedeza it can really take over and go feral if yo dont keep it under control.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sprayed roundup today on about 2 acres or more. Most will be soybeans but some will be strips of millet,soybeans, sunflower and milo all are Real World Wildlife products. Really been happy with their stuff last few years.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Finally got mine planted on the 6th with buckwheat, Pennington Spring Summer Deluxe and a leftover fall mix of wheat, oats, rape, forage radish, turnips and clover. Doubt anything will be left after a month except some buckwheat.