who's buying one - Garmin Alpha 200i

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
f6b857620d7b50ac79d03f4fdb4372f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What iPad are you using? inLike it. I paired mine to my phone for now to see how I liked the Garmin Explore. I was still on the fence. Your post reassured me to go ahead and by iPad. The one thing I didn't like is having to buy a new tablet. The 100 used Basecamp and a Windows operating system. Now I will have to buy an iPad. I have a cradle for a 9-11" plus case. I'm thinking about a 10.2. Another draw back is the 200! Will accept a tracking/training code from a 100 but not the other way around. I made sure my collars were working in both my 100 units and the 200i.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Getting the iPad set up. Man I sure wish I was not so tech challenged. LOL. I will muttle my was through it though. How can something so simple, be so complicated? Think I have it ready to go, going to give it a test run soon.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Getting the iPad set up. Man I sure wish I was not so tech challenged. LOL. I will muttle my was through it though. How can something so simple, be so complicated? Think I have it ready to go, going to give it a test run soon.
Ain't that the truth, I had all the kids in the neighborhood working on mine yesterday. If they can't figure it out I don't have a chance. They got everything working. Had one little fella offer to hunt with me and operate it . I will probably have to take him up on it .

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Geez, I just noticed the aerials on the Garmin Explore App are ancient and I thought Birdseye was old.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Picked one up yesterday. Like it so far but don’t like how no accessories/ cases are made for it yet .

Reactions: DRS

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Ok so I have had this thing for seven days and it's broke. I'm known for tearing stuff up but It hasn't even been in the woods yet. It will turn on and a blue screen will appear for about 30 seconds and flash white then turn off. I called garmin support and they said I have to have it hooked to a computer so we can try to find the problem. And I know nothing about computers. I called a guy I know who has one and he suggested not to count on the 200i as the only way to track dogs as multiple guys had problems with them at a field trail last weekend.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^Asked my buddy if he was buying one...and I quote...

“I ain’t working them damn bugs out for em during hunting season, maybe next year...”

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
^Asked my buddy if he was buying one...and I quote...

“I ain’t working them damn bugs out for em during hunting season, maybe next year...”
Smart move, mine was a gift or I probably wouldn't own one yet. I've never been given much so I'm like the kid at Christmas that got a new toy and no batteries for it .😂

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Well day two of dealing with garmin customer service. I think I have found the headquarters of the Biden campaign. I have talked to five different people that are clueless. I had an IT guy call and he confused them even more. All I can say is I wouldn't trust the sos feature in case of emergency. Guy this morning said take it back to where it was purchased and see if they will swap it out with one that works.lol . This pos wouldn't even make a good trot line weight.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Well day two of dealing with garmin customer service. I think I have found the headquarters of the Biden campaign. I have talked to five different people that are clueless. I had an IT guy call and he confused them even more. All I can say is I wouldn't trust the sos feature in case of emergency. Guy this morning said take it back to where it was purchased and see if they will swap it out with one that works.lol . This pos wouldn't even make a good trot line weight.
Haha dang that sucks . Any idea where the person who got it for you bought it?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I made my stand as far as buying one but I hate to hear the displeasure about Garmin CS. I probably have talked to them as much as any one individual over the years between handhelds, marine and auto electronics over the years. I can't say one word bad about ANY of the CS dealing I have ever had with them.

I have made just about every mistake you can make with an Alpha over the years and in doing that I have become pretty proficient with one. I can't remember when I have had to call them over an issue with one of them short of replacement and I usually get that done somewhere else now. Being as familiar with the 100 is another of the reasons I hesitate to go with the newer model. I really hope their CS hasn't gone south.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Update, person number six was straight to the point and said they have received several calls this week about the problem and would ship me a new one as soon as they received mine. Ain't happening. So he says they can ship a new one if I gave them a 340 dollar refundable deposit. Ain't happening.i asked to speak with his boss and he said he doesn't have one so I explained if he was the owner of garmin I respect him for answering calls for customer service. I was put on hold for about five minutes then was told a new one was being shipped that evening and to send the old one back as soon as I could so they could find out what is causing the issue.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I guess I like mine. No more problems than I have with the 100 and tablet. Less problems than when the 100 is synced to a Drive Track. Have had the 200 lock up when I tried to turn it off. I had my tablet stop tracking once, took a while but I finally figured out how to get it going again. Over all I guess I'm pleased with it. I do like the larger screen on the 200i.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I may get bashed a lil for saying this buuuut. I don’t have a bit of trouble outta my old 320.. haha. You boys get them kinks worked out then I’ll buy me an alpha

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Another weekend of using the 200i. No issues with the unit itself. I am leaning more and more to liking the 100 liked to a tablet though. I do like the way the 200i pairs with the tablet. However, there is just enough delay to the tablet I over shot the hounds. Also don't like the size of the tracks or the icons of the dogs all over the map. Sometimes I could not tell where the hounds where at for all that mess. Works ok for a few, but was a cluster with 20 hounds. I was still able to keep up with them though. Going to keep using for now to see if it will "grow" on me. Wish I could hide the tracks on the tablet or always make them smaller.

Another weekend of using the 200i. No issues with the unit itself. I am leaning more and more to liking the 100 liked to a tablet though. I do like the way the 200i pairs with the tablet. However, there is just enough delay to the tablet I over shot the hounds. Also don't like the size of the tracks or the icons of the dogs all over the map. Sometimes I could not tell where the hounds where at for all that mess. Works ok for a few, but was a cluster with 20 hounds. I was still able to keep up with them though. Going to keep using for now to see if it will "grow" on me. Wish I could hide the tracks on the tablet or always make them smaller.

You can hide and delete the tracks on the tablet. Go to maps and turn off activities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk