Wholly power bill

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
Renovating house running 2 window units a 5000 and. 10000 btu ...a water heater and 5 freezers..first bill was 120 dollars next was 734 dollars ....to run both AC units continusualy is less than 100 a month freezers .maby 50 and water heater 30 ...what happened what went wrong

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t know what type of freezers you have. Older freezers and fridges are power hogs. You can almost put the brakes on a 5,000 watt generator with an old freezer.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Renovating house running 2 window units a 5000 and. 10000 btu ...a water heater and 5 freezers..first bill was 120 dollars next was 734 dollars ....to run both AC units continusualy is less than 100 a month freezers .maby 50 and water heater 30 ...what happened what went wrong

Power tools, doors being open constantly, insulation missing, etc. renovations can be hard on utility bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It could be the way your bill had been tallied as well, they may have changed you from estimating your bills monthly with a balloon payment at some point to reading your meter remotely. You may want to call the power company for an energy audit.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Check to make sure your neighbors aren't running a pot farm off your power grid..... that seems really high!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You certainly could and should question it with the power company.

I'd be curious to know; from your post it sounds as though you've only received two electric bills. If so, its probably a case of the power company pro-rating the first month's payment for a partial month. Add in that they figured it for an average-use home, and that could be the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if your next bill falls somewhere in between, maybe $400.

And like others have said, older freezers & A/C units are power hogs, and most folks aren't running 5 freezers. Add to it the fact that your renovating, which means power tools, doors constantly opening and closing, etc.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
We've been there 3 months so far ..my mom lived there before her average bill was 220 on budget plan before we took over..budget plan takes a year average and makes it into 12 equal payments

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would definitely be checking the freezers, ac units and even the fridge. Make sure on start up, than none of the compressors are on/off several times before continuing. That will kill you on power usage....

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We've been there 3 months so far ..my mom lived there before her average bill was 220 on budget plan before we took over..budget plan takes a year average and makes it into 12 equal payments
its likely the budget plan deal. they saw power usage spike suddenly from the remodel and other stuff and are charging accordingly to hedge their bets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Is the account still in your mom's name, or yours? If it's still under your mom and the budget plan is still in effect, you may have hit the month when they do the annual analysis and readjust the monthly payment.