whole dove

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thread starter #1
seen a post on dove that made me pluck one,,,,never tried that before and I may be a convert,,,,plucked very fast and easy,,,,,,,

cooked it on the grill,,,,not quite hot enough as it didn't get the nice brown that I wanted,,,,but tasted great at medium rare,,,,,,since I only plucked one I cooked it with some duck breasts I had left,,,,,,,

gonna try that again, but hotter,,,,,,,

darkthirty

Twelve Pointer
Funny you post this. I just tried a whole bird last week. I plucked the whole thing and rubbed it down with a rotisserie seasoning and cooked it on the skillet top on our gas stove. It was very good!! Best part was the skin. Got all crispy from the skillet. I told my wife I'd be happy with a plate full of the dove skin cooked till crispy. Haha

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thread starter #9
How about the shot?
what shot? I lead them enough so they are head shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

ok, seriously - normally it goes on through - I don't do long range shots so the lead shot still has plenty of oomph,,,,plus your just as likely to have shot in a hunk of breasted bird as you will a whole one.

takes just a minute or two to pluck and gut - if they aren't all tore up - if the bird is tore up I forgo plucking - either will skin or as last resort, breast

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thread starter #14
I like to stuff them with browned sausage/onions/apples and them finish them in a hot oven or grill.

congrats,,,made my mouth water,,,,I have a full belly from wild turket breast Coconut Curry (with rice) and you had to go and bring up that idea!!

well done!

congrats,,,made my mouth water,,,,I have a full belly from wild turket breast Coconut Curry (with rice) and you had to go and bring up that idea!!

well done!
Glad to help. If you have a spare minute and like to cook google wood pigeon recipes. Most of the recipes are British and really work well with doves.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tried this last night. Rubbed with oil, seasoned with Carolina seasoning and stuffed with sausage and onions. Grilled hot over charcoal. I also seasoned and fried some breasts in bacon grease.
1E4A7DF7-E662-4487-8D2B-B28041CC5A37.jpeg

09534FBD-0A8E-4828-83F1-CF905AF93970.jpeg

It’s good. I’d like to try it with a little bigger bird. Not much meat on a dove leg or wing.

Last edited: