Whole bone-in Turkey breast ?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Nope. No skin.
Kicking around the idea of making the jake into a decoy. Waiting on a price quote.
Refrigerating now in a baking bag.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I havent done this myself, but have seen where you pin lots of bacon to the breast to prevent it from drying & cook it in one of those brown-n-bags w/ some water & flour. I guess you could also add some carrots, onions, celery, etc.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
fillet breast meat off breast bone and cut into thumb sized strips. Drench in egg and buttermilk and shake in House Autry's semi-hot and drop in peanut oil. Don't listen to all these guys telling you to bake it, roast it, cover it....LOL...their mouths are watering just thinking about those crispy pieces of deliciousness.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Don't listen to all these guys telling you to bake it, roast it, cover it..

of course cutting off the bone is generally good,,,

but since the fellow said he was wanting to cook a " Whole, bone-in wild turkey breast" I tried to help,,,

it's like someone saying "which size bullet for my 30-06" and folks tell them to "get a creedmoor" or some such BS,,,

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
of course cutting off the bone is generally good,,,

but since the fellow said he was wanting to cook a " Whole, bone-in wild turkey breast" I tried to help,,,

it's like someone saying "which size bullet for my 30-06" and folks tell them to "get a creedmoor" or some such BS,,,
I'm just discouraging him from using his idea all the way around and using mine :)

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
well it's been two weeks,,, how did you cook it and how did it turn out?

It got put in the freezer.
I am having trouble finding anything I think will work and still be tender/good.
Thinking hard about the nuggets with hush puppies, cole slaw, and prolly corn on the cob.
Have to do it on a day off.... 3rd shift with a 7-2, 7-2, 7-3 schedule ya know.

Good note is, lost 17 lbs. since I went back to work. Self-distancing from the fridge and all.

There is a recipe I use for Pheasant breasts, cooked in a homemade cream of vegetable soup with wild rice... but I don't think it would work with a turkey.
Really good with the Ringnecks, though.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It got put in the freezer.
I am having trouble finding anything I think will work and still be tender/good.
Thinking hard about the nuggets with hush puppies, cole slaw, and prolly corn on the cob.
Have to do it on a day off.... 3rd shift with a 7-2, 7-2, 7-3 schedule ya know.

Good note is, lost 17 lbs. since I went back to work. Self-distancing from the fridge and all.

There is a recipe I use for Pheasant breasts, cooked in a homemade cream of vegetable soup with wild rice... but I don't think it would work with a turkey.
Really good with the Ringnecks, though.

ok, so looks like you're going "off the bone in" route - smart

do nuggets or my fave - SCHNITZEL!!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
in my opinion, the challenge is in keeping the outer meat moist enough while the meat near the bone gets cooked enough,,,

gonna have to innovate,,, browning bag maybe??

did you keep the skin on? That will make it easier as you can add some fat/butter underneath,,,

Sous vide?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
ok, so looks like you're going "off the bone in" route - smart

do nuggets or my fave - SCHNITZEL!!

I saw Steven Rinella do a wild turkey Schnitzel. It looked awesome. I might have to consider that.
I gotta tell you though, the nuggets sound best for a fat boy !
Shout out to @Eric Revo ... if I do, I'll post pics.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I saw Steven Rinella do a wild turkey Schnitzel. It looked awesome. I might have to consider that.
I gotta tell you though, the nuggets sound best for a fat boy !
Shout out to @Eric Revo ... if I do, I'll post pics.

You could do this with the breast meat on but it's tricky. I would wet brine in a sugar/salt solution over night and then pull out and pat dry. Let it sit on the counter while you pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees. I would then take a grip of stemmy herbs and put them in the cavity. Do not put a lemon in there. The packed herbs will create steam without impacting the cooking process. Nextly, I would cook breast side down to reduce the exposure to the heat. Butter rub that bird as it'll keep it moist and low and slow is your friend. It'll work, you just gotta be patient. Cheers.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
You could do this with the breast meat on but it's tricky. I would wet brine in a sugar/salt solution over night and then pull out and pat dry. Let it sit on the counter while you pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees. I would then take a grip of stemmy herbs and put them in the cavity. Do not put a lemon in there. The packed herbs will create steam without impacting the cooking process. Nextly, I would cook breast side down to reduce the exposure to the heat. Butter rub that bird as it'll keep it moist and low and slow is your friend. It'll work, you just gotta be patient. Cheers.

That sounds really good !