Who works with Cordura or weather resistant fabrics? DIY treestand cushion

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Haven’t sewn since middle school. However, I have a slew of plants with European sewing machines and about 300 different special memory foams and springs even. I’m tired of “dead” butt after 3-5 hours in a stand. I’m going to work with some scrap materials and find the right feel. Sewing and foam are the easy part. Deciding what cover material will be harder. Neoprene has a smell to me. Thinking cordura 1000d like they make high end back packs from. At least I think that’s the stuff. I’m going to buy one of the Sewers lunch to make me a seat with an access Seam of some kind and a back piece.

Since season started I’ll probably hold off until rifle to start trying them in a stand. If you’ve never noticed foams out gas and memory foams are pretty bad. The up side is I have access to development materials too and all are in multiple thicknesses so I can really dial in the feel. Might be too thick/heavy when I get there though. We’ll see how it goes.

I just checked out the Hunt Comfort cushion or whatever and know exactly what’s in it and the sale price of $80 for a square cushion ain’t happening.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I should say, it’s a value if you had to buy everything and make it plus market and distribute it. I’m just surrounded by foams all day. Most fabrics I use are waterproof and quiet but non dyed. I could always dye them but they aren’t heavy abrasion resistant and while they’d last a bit they would eventually wear. Also, foams eventually sag. I have some ways of limiting or eliminating that. These foams also heavily insulate regardless of smart tech IMO. There are even PCM tech that could work. I doubt there’s a market for seats that cost almost as much as a stand but my butt will thank me, forever.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
PCMs are fairly new for me. If there’s anyone on here working with them I’m interested in hearing. The one I’m semi aware of uses nano encapsulated parrafin wax in rubber. I’m dubious of saturation points if that’s what they are called. Basically, heat transfers to melt wax in rubber. As you cool the wax transfers the heat back and re hardens.

Like I said, these may be the most expensive seat cushions ever but I’m figuring this out. I see others that sit on something like a LW thing I won’t call a cushion and ridicule others that can’t for 12 hours straight. I must have a sensitive butt but no matter how I angle the stand or adjust seat it hurts in a few hours. Then I cram myself into a tiny plane followed by a car for days each week and it feels like my glutes are ripped in half. I know the LW are a weight thing. I’ve even seen online when some ridicule anyone who “sits” hunting. I always want to say “Ok Hero, you can stand for days without moving and shoot an XBow or rifle 1k yards without a rest after hiking 25 miles without sweating” I’m just a mere mortal. I do put miles in steepish terrain so “pre-stretch” a bit?

I’m 6’2” and 190or less so it’s not a body type. I’ve got a bit of a butt from years of lifting and sports too so long, big butt with little weight should be about as good as it gets.