Who on here plays golf?

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
Just wondering who all played golf in between seasons? I got back into it, and after a few rusty range sessions picked back up where I left off.

After turkey season and bass tournaments sorta cool down I see a busy summer on the links.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I’ll play all year if the weather is nice and I get the chance. Got really back into it again 3 years ago but took a break last year from playing 2-3 a month. Itching to get back to that though. Between golf, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc, I have too many hobbies lol.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I enjoy golf but only play about 6 - 10 times a year. Mostly Chamber tournaments, those types of events where you play Super Ball.
When I play - I want to play more; but I can also hang it up for 6 months and not miss it.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I play 10-12 times a year. But youngest leaves for college in fall. No more 3 games a week and travel ball on weekends. I plan to really get back at playing. Even went bought new clubs after hitting same ones for 20 years.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I play constantly.. literally, I have a putting range in the living room and put while I watch TV.. aslo have a weighted 7 iron I can swing in the living room. I am not sure I would call me any good, but I love playing in CGA handicap tournaments through the summer.. matter of fact I will hit some balls a little later today.. might play 3 or 4 holes.. have not been out in far to long.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
chloe.gif

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
beer is the best defense the more i drink the harder it is to hit the lil white ball....golf is the only game where they encorouge to drink while driving ....and if anybody wants to stand in front of me while i hit my drive to play defense agianst me bring it on ill take the extra stroke

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went from playing 15-20 times a year down to about 2 now that we have 3 kids and live at least 25 minutes from any course worth playing.

The funny thing is, the less I've played, the better I've scored. I really enjoy it now that I have no expectations.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
If anyone comes to the mtns this year and plans on playing, hit me up. We can play Maggie Valley country club.

Did you play the tournament at junaluska today? I would have tried to but had a wedding that kept me out of town.

I love to play. My years of baseball make a golf swing tough to learn but I play every chance I get.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I enjoy it but only play <10 times per year. Still trying to break 90. I triple putt a LOT!! But EVERY time I play I hit at least 1 shot that keeps me from throwing my clubs in the trash .

I enjoy the camraderie, laughing at buddy's bad shots, only to congratulate them on their next great shot.

I have also started watching golf on tv more often. Today's round has been EXTREMELY interesting!

My Grandfather would play 3 times a week. The only place he ever stopped playing because of heat was in Raleigh, NC, and he lived in south Florida! Some of my best memories of him were the few times he took me along with him onto the links. I play with my father any time we are in the same town together.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any game should have a defense ...

And if you think the golf course does not play defense you don't play the game for sure.

Only had time to play 9 today..first time actually on course since December. 3 over 39. I'll take it. Two bogeys a double and a bird

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
Did you play the tournament at junaluska today? I would have tried to but had a wedding that kept me out of town.

I love to play. My years of baseball make a golf swing tough to learn but I play every chance I get.

Actually no, I went to Knoxville to the Bassmasters classic.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
At a bar 15 years ago and guy I was with was trying to pick older lady. She told him where she lived which was at a local course. Once she found out we played she asked how he shot. He told her that he has to pay $40 to play he wants to swing all he can! We still laugh about that when we talk every couple years.

We used to play Hyland hills Foxfire and Tobacco roads when it was 4 people for $100. One of the guys I played with died about 5 years ago and haven't touched my clubs since.

Same guy back in early 2000s at Sanford course. We both hit bad drives. We stopped th cart at my ball and he was gonna walk to his. He told me to go ahead and hit so I did. He was maybe 30 yards off to my right when one hell of a slice caught him in his wallet! He dropped to the ground quick! It broke his drivers license in half. That's the only time I ever hit someone with the ball.

Last edited:

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
I quit for about 15 years when I got married and kids started playing travel sports nd I gained way too much weight. Got back into the game 2.5 years ago after I lost all my weight!! When I played a lot in the '80 - early 90's I was around a 3-4 handicap. Now I am around 10-12. Play as much as my money lets me, which ain't much. Went and played Chester golf club and bogeyed the last three to shoot a 79. Best round in a long time. I just wish everything would dry up, I am tired of cart path only!!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I quit for about 15 years when I got married and kids started playing travel sports nd I gained way too much weight. Got back into the game 2.5 years ago after I lost all my weight!! When I played a lot in the '80 - early 90's I was around a 3-4 handicap. Now I am around 10-12. Play as much as my money lets me, which ain't much. Went and played Chester golf club and bogeyed the last three to shoot a 79. Best round in a long time. I just wish everything would dry up, I am tired of cart path only!!

Back when I played a good bit I could be found on Crowder's Mountain
pretty often. Started having some medical problems and was also driving all over creation every week to see my grandson play ball for several years so just gradually phased out of it but wouldn't be against an occasional round now.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I got given a set of golf rackets years ago from a buddy, that was his 40th birthday outing, i played again on his 50th surprise birthday and once last year. So i am averaging 1 game every 4 years

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
when is it in between seasons?

every month of the year there is something to chase,,,whether furred, feathered or finned,,,,,,

My golf season was from the end of turkey season until August 1st, when deer prep really got rolling. I had to work in fishing and vacations, but everybody needs some variety.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I worked 5.5 yrs in the industry. Elected to membership (PGA of America) in 1994. Stopped for 7 yrs the first time. Got my amateur status back. Qualified for the mid am. Made the cut and finished mid-pack. Haven’t played 5x, since (not once in the last 5 yrs).

I can’t stand to play mediocre, and I don’t love it enough to devote the time it takes to play at a high level (I was a +3, at one time). So, I don’t play.

Beautiful game. Love to watch it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
everybody needs some variety.

man,,,if I took up golf something else would have to give,,,I have enough variety,,,
  • deer
  • squirrel
  • rabbit
  • duck
  • dove
  • bear
  • trapping
  • snipe
  • woodcock
  • geese
  • swan
  • turkey
  • bass fishing
  • bream fishing
  • cat fishing
  • shad fishing
  • ocean bottom fishing
  • inshore fishing
  • ocean large game fishing
then when I get bored I go shooting,,,,

• compound
  • crossbow
  • recurve
  • longbow
  • rifle
  • pistol
  • sporting clays
then of course I need to train dog(s) about every day

where the heck do you all find time to work??? Must be retired or some such!!

-------------------

myu apologies for the digression!!!

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Golf is one of the few games where the better you play, the less that you play. My FIL will go out and shot 75. I'll shoot 100. I got to hit the ball 25 more times than he did. His biggest challenge is hitting from the first cut of rough. I have bigger challenges including tree trunks, shrubs, roots, hard dirt and all the other stuff back in the woods. It seems to me that the better you get, the more boring the game becomes.

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Golf is one of the few games where the better you play, the less that you play. My FIL will go out and shot 75. I'll shoot 100. I got to hit the 25 more times than he did. His biggest challenge is hitting from the first cut of rough. I have bigger challenges including tree trunks, shrubs, roots, hard dirt and all the other stuff back in the woods. It seems to me that the better you get, the more boring the game becomes.

Nope the more frustrating it becomes.. at least that is the case for me.