Who knew Deer had Fangs???

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Very interesting to say the least. I may have to pick up a copy of that book on deer evolution. :)

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've shot one. Aaron asked me if I wanted to skull mount it because it is rather unique. I still went with a shoulder mount. So he cut the base and I kept the ivories. Only for me to go home and shoot another nice buck that I was going to shoulder mount but ultimately ended up just doing a skull.

Funny how things work out, no regrets though. I look at that upper canine buck everyday.

IMG_5309.JPG

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Having done a ton of euro mounts over the years, I've seen quite a few deer with canines. Always kinda cool to see.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
a9e82da8a83e009d0922e262207ccead.jpg

2008 joco bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm in my 22nd year of fulltime taxidermy. Over the years I have only seen about ten bucks and one doe with canines. I have killed one buck with them myself. Nobody knows how rare this is in whitetails. Ivories are present in some other species such as elk but occur in deer at times. Many a hunter has sawed off the antlers of a buck but never looked in its mouth so did not see the canines. Most does are butchered without a glance at the teeth. Some regions might have canines more commonly than others- I don't know. It's interesting to see variations in animals I think.

Attachments

• IMG_9068.jpg
    IMG_9068.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 40

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I shot this one back in 2002 I think. I sent it to a guy in Ohio to do an euro mount using beetles. He called me and told me when he noticed. I had never heard of fangs/ivories in deer
fedc39ebddbe540076713166ee047cfe.jpg
before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Yep, I was blessed to have some great teachers.

am I the only 1 taught about this in the 80's at Whitetail Superclinics ?

some of the teachers were Dr. Jim Kroll, John Wooters, Bill Bynum, Phil Johnston, Gene Wensel, Dick Idol, Larry Weishuhn, etc, etc,...the nations top deer hunting writers or biologists of the 70's and 80's.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
What is interesting about the link I posted is the Black markings on the face. Doesnt surprise me that deer sometimes have fangs but the markings on that La Deer do.

I have seen deer walking the banks of Jordan after a Shad Kill slurping up shad .

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, I was blessed to have some great teachers.

am I the only 1 taught about this in the 80's at Whitetail Superclinics ?

some of the teachers were Dr. Jim Kroll, John Wooters, Bill Bynum, Phil Johnston, Gene Wensel, Dick Idol, Larry Weishuhn, etc, etc,...the nations top deer hunting writers or biologists of the 70's and 80's.

maybe so. I was toooo busy with women in the 80's to woory about some superclinic.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I knew some whitetails had tusk/canines. Never seen one in person, but then I need to look harder too. I will check better if I see dark head markings. I have seen one buck that had symmetrical white "pin stripes" that looked like a spider web was placed perfectly over its face. It was awesome to say the least, I would have had it mounted no doubt. Wish I at least had a pic, but this was quite a few years ago.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I never thought about the black markings on the lower jaw, but know it makes perfect sense.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Yeap,,,only one,,,must have been expensive as all get out having all them folks just teach you,,,

o_O:eek::D;)

Just messin’

I think it was $100 John. That was for 4 days, Thur-Sun in the Koury Convention Ctr and each instructor had their own room, but we could still rub elbows and pick their brains afterwards each day too. I had most of them autograph a hat for me.
There were a few hundred students
It was put on by the NRA and travelled around the country for bout a year.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think it was $100 John. That was for 4 days, Thur-Sun in the Koury Convention Ctr and each instructor had their own room, but we could still rub elbows and pick their brains afterwards each day too. I had most of them autograph a hat for me.
There were a few hundred students
It was put on by the NRA and travelled around the country for bout a year.

bet it was a great time,,,I couldn't schedule that kind of stuff back then,,,to busy running from crisis area to crisis area in the 80s

Bollweevil

Eight Pointer
I killed this one last year in Bertie that had canine teeth. I didn't realize it until after the taxidermist showed it to me.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I visited a game farm in RSA that had some Chinese water deer. Creepy looking animals. There are several places in Europe where you can hunt them. We killed a few steenboks back when we had our lease in Zimbabwe. They are similar to Water Deer. It amazes me that something that small can prosper with all those predators.