Who is your favorite gun writer?

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've been looking for a good book or two about rifles, shotguns, or anything gun related. Who's your favorite writer and why?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've read some of his pieces. He probably forgot more about rifles and big game animals than most will know in a lifetime. Any particular book that you like?
I have several of his, quite frankly about all of them were my father's. I have read them multiple times and probably haven't had my hands on them in 10-15 years. I liked them all, some more than others.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Larry Koller,,,

"Shots at Whitetails" is a northern classic,,,

southern hunters may not like it

it's why I have a love affair with Savage 99s and the 250-3000,,

I have the book my step-dad bought in 1970 on my bookshelf and read it every year,,,,gave one to my youngest Brother in Law (but that was a waste - he is neither a reader nor cares for any deer hunting that doesn't include a pack of dogs and a pickup truck),,,

anyhow, that's my vote,,,

Randy

Ten Pointer
I would suggest The Hunters Guide to Accurate Shooting by Wayne Van Zwoll.

I picked up a copy at a bookstore in Laramie Wy when I was out there last fall.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Jack O'Connor THE BIG GAME RIFLE - one reason why I own a .270

Larry Kelly & JD Jones - HUNTING FOR HANDGUNNERS

got both those books and others from all 3 and it doesnt get any better than those 3.

I will add Keith as well and John Wooters. Good friend of mine here was best friends with Wooters. Heard lots of stories about John.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Robert Ruark
Peter Hathaway Capstick

Not necessarily about guns in particular but both authors are favorites of mine.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Jack O'Connor THE BIG GAME RIFLE - one reason why I own a .270

Larry Kelly & JD Jones - HUNTING FOR HANDGUNNERS

got both those books and others from all 3 and it doesnt get any better than those 3.

I will add Keith as well and John Wooters. Good friend of mine here was best friends with Wooters. Heard lots of stories about John.
I remember reading John Wooters in Field & Stream years ago.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like several of those already mentioned here, but another that I really like is Warren Page.

“The Accurate Rifle” is a classic IMO.

Page himself was a very interesting character. Harvard educated, Naval officer in WWII, was apparently a recovering alcoholic, and had little experience with guns prior to becoming the Shooting editor of Field and Stream.

He was also somewhat of a one gun guy, which I’ve found interesting considering his profession. He was famous for “Old Betsy” his 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum, which he used to kill over 400 game animals all across the globe. He only ever used a 4x Redfield scope on it, and shot 175 gr Nosler semi spitzers for everything.