Who is seeing jakes so far ......

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And how many?
This has been the best season for seeing jakes for me. I have only hunted 3 mornings so far but I have seen a group of 4 jakes and a group of 3 jakes in Harnett and yesterday I seen a group of 4 jakes in Rockingham County.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Seen 1 Tom (he's no longer with us) and zero Jake's. I have seen several hens so definitely seems like an odd year so far.

Reactions: jug

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ive discussed this topic with several friends. We've hunted the same tracts youth week and first adult week for the past three years. After seeing close to 50 Jake's the last 2 years, we've yet to lay eyes on a Jake this year.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Have one property, very small , with 7 Jakes. They actually ran the Tom off 2x while I was hunting him in the back paddock. Haven’t seen him since the 2d time. Hope another more aggressive Tom shows up.

Have 3 or 4 on another club property making nuisances of themselves. Wish they’d come in for the guests I hosted looking for their first birds. About 50/50 Jakes/toms on that property.

georgeeebuck

Twelve Pointer
Hunted with a buddy Wed, Th, and Fri . No male birds on Wed , we called in one Jake on TH . After three hours of calling to a far off gobble on Fri. we called in the biggest tom that I have seen in the last 10 years. My buddy clean missed him at 20 yards. Not sure we are still buddies after I could not stop laughing .

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yup I haven't seen any jakes..... lots of hens and I've only seen one longbeard and he hung up at about 100 yards.

Treylane1

Button Buck
Seen quite a few Jake’s and long beards. In Wayne and Lenior. But seen a lot of Jake’s run long beards out of field

JP14

Four Pointer
Can’t get em to go away. Called them in on 3 different hunts and have watched them run off the Toms. They keep on and I know a way to make em go away 💥

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It is weird. I quite often seen juv. males while hunting late fall/early winter. I almost never see them the following spring. Only gobblers.

Edit: maybe this is because we limit ourselves to one gobbler?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen 2 Jake’s while fishing. Have spent a lot of time in and around what used to be prime turkey country and have seen less this year than in any time I can remember. Could be coincidental. I remember a time where I rarely went more than a couple days without seeing turkeys. Getting to be like seeing Sasquatch these days. I know my experience does not reflect the whole state. Sure do miss the days when we we had birds like they counties down east do now. Hopefully it cycles back around.