Who here cooks with cast iron

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My better half and I primarily cook with cast iron.
I’ve got one skillet that I can not get to season properly at all.

It’s an older Lodge. It seasons in some places but in others it just won’t season. Every time I attempt to season it, I’m left with about half the cooking surface that is seasoned and half that isn’t.

Anyone got any tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odie408

Ten Pointer
Could try setting it in a bed of hot coals and filling it more coals to clean it and when it cools reseason it. My mother and grandma used to have me do theirs when I had a brush pile burn.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
May want to start over from scratch. You can cook it off, dip it or any other way you feel like to strip it back then start over with the oil.
Sometimes I have had to add oil almost full, I do it camping or outside then heat it up and maintain 300 to 350. The constant heat and oil will let it get down in the metal.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Yep I've always found vegetable oil to work good. I bake mine in the oven upside down to season at first. Also put a thin layer of oil after you are done cooking on it.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I buy and reseason cast iron all the time. I use electrolysis to get rid of rust and lard to season them. I have gotten behind and have a lot to work on now but that process works extremely well

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could try setting it in a bed of hot coals and filling it more coals to clean it and when it cools reseason it. My mother and grandma used to have me do theirs when I had a brush pile burn.

I have burnt this thing 4 x now
Same result each time.
1/2 of it will season, the other half won’t

witler

Eight Pointer
I have never had problems on getting a skillet to season. I use Crisco in the can, coat really good all over put in 400 degree oven for at least half an hour.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have burnt this thing 4 x now
Same result each time.
1/2 of it will season, the other half won’t

If you have a battery charger....look up electrolysys....use this one time then season with lard....if it doesn't season right, it's the pan.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How about some pictures.
Wonder if it is in the casting and the metal is the problem. Any lines or markings different on the part that will season and the part that does not.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Another vote for lard been using since I can remember back to great great grandparents. Only way we make corn bread is iron

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Another vote for lard been using since I can remember back to great great grandparents. Only way we make corn bread is iron
Iron is the "only" way to make corn bread. I shore do miss my Mamma's corn bread. Had the thickest crust I have ever seen. When she made it there was always a fight with m brother, sister, and me over who would get the first piece.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Iron is the "only" way to make corn bread. I shore do miss my Mamma's corn bread. Had the thickest crust I have ever seen. When she made it there was always a fight with m brother, sister, and me over who would get the first piece.
Just had me good old bowl cornbread crispy soaked in buttermilk

Dinny

Button Buck
How do you keep food tastes and smells separate? Day 1 cook a steak, Day 2 cook a cookie in the same pan. Cookie taste like steak?

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
I cook 3 eggs every morning in my cast iron Lodge pan with no sticking just like an aluminum pan. I was not able to do this at first. I found a guy on YouTube and I fixed it. I went to Lowes and bought a paint stripper wheel for a drill. It is red and looks like a round rice crispy treat. I took the inside finish (only) all the way back down to bare shiny metal and then seasoned with Light Olive Oil according to Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube. U should check him out. Each night when we do the dishes i simply rinse with hot water (NO SOAP) and then set back on the stove top on high heat till u can't keep your finger on it for 2 seconds then remove and wipe down with same Light Olive Oil using a lent free cloth ($1 bandana from Walmart).

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How do you keep food tastes and smells separate? Day 1 cook a steak, Day 2 cook a cookie in the same pan. Cookie taste like steak?
Like me.....
Just get about 40 to 60 pieces of cast iron so you can have one for everything.
I have some that are cornbread only, others for grilling bread.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer

Maybe these will help. I got a new set of lodge cast last year and honestly just went to cookin with it. Hasnt had much trouble after about a month of steady use. I just dry wipe it when im done after it cools and just barely hit it with a damp rag before i use it again. Its gotten to be my favorite way to cook a steak. 5min on either side and good to go

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS

Fry fish one night. Clean the pan. Make country steak and gravy the next night and clean the pan. Fry bacon, fix cheese-n-eggs next morning. Clean the pan. if that is a problem i guess my taste buds aren't quite as discriminating as others.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Fry fish one night. Clean the pan. Make country steak and gravy the next night and clean the pan. Fry bacon, fix cheese-n-eggs next morning. Clean the pan. if that is a problem i guess my taste buds aren't quite as discriminating as others.
Its not.... Just what I tell the wife to justify getting another.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
It’s funny this popped up I got a new cast iron pan for Christmas (cheaper one from walmart) “preseasoned” it felt like sand paper I took it out to the garage and sand blasted all the coating that was on it off and it’s seasoning now

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I pan seared some New York strips for supper this evening. When I'm done using it, I squirt a little water on it while it's hot to loose any burnt or stuck on debris. I wipe it down with a rag and set it aside. When it's cooled to the point of still too hot to hold on to it, but not enough to sizzle water, I pour some oil in and wipe it down with a paper towel. I want a sheen, but no excess oil.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Have your wife make you an old fashioned home made cake in one no icing or box mix just cake you'll be asking for more

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Been using a 12 inch skillet for a year now and I love it. I clean with hot water and a small nylon scraper, no soap. I then coat with Crisco when it's dry and heat it for a few minutes. The culinary fanatic on YouTube has a lot of good videos on cast iron seasoning and restoration.

thandy

Ten Pointer
We cook a lot with cast iron. The wife wanted a bigger dutch oven so i get her 10qt/14in for Christmas that thing is huge! Looking forward to some dump cake!