Who eats deer heart

PG2

Ten Pointer
Onions, butter and salt and pepper, cook slow, low and long. cut all veins and trim up the fat and cut them into small cubes. I simmer them for about 45 minutes to an hour and they are fantastic and tender.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I would eat it if I did not have to prepare it & did not know what it was I was eating...kinda like mountain oysters. Went to a buffet once when I was @ UNC-W & got me a big serving of what I thought was big plump fried oysters, which I love, took a bite & thought they tasted gross. Turned out they were chicken gizzards or livers, dnk which, but I have never ever eaten those things again. Ugh!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I would eat it if I did not have to prepare it & did not know what it was I was eating...kinda like mountain oysters. Went to a buffet once when I was @ UNC-W & got me a big serving of what I thought was big plump fried oysters, which I love, took a bite & thought they tasted gross. Turned out they were chicken gizzards or livers, dnk which, but I have never ever eaten those things again. Ugh!
Remember the heart is a muscle, not really and organ like the rest of the offal.

I eat deer liver too, but only fresh. Never frozen. It’s an organ. Doesn’t hold up to the freeze.

Heart is great. You’ll slap yourself for all the ones left behind in the past.

Kinda like I did when I figured out how to really cook turkey legs well. Can’t believe I ever left a set behind when I was little.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Remember the heart is a muscle, not really and organ like the rest of the offal.

I eat deer liver too, but only fresh. Never frozen. It’s an organ. Doesn’t hold up to the freeze.

Kinda like I did when I figured out how to really cook turkey legs well. Can’t believe I ever left a set behind when I was little.
It really is a shame how much we "modern day people" waste. I was told when deer are donated by a local church group to the Montagnards from Viet Nam here in Charlotte that they literally use the entire deer for some purpose or another. Cant help but admire that.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer

Whats the best way to cook turkey legs?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer heart, growing up we used to always eat it for breakfast the next morning. Reminds me of a backstrap flavored rubber band. Kinda like snapping turtle. The flavor is good but I haven’t cooked it long enough to make it good.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Love the deer heart. I cut into 3/8" steaks. Light season with salt and pepper. Heat a pan with oil, sautee onions until translucent, then deglaze with red wine. Toss in deer heart. 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Take out of pan and enjoy.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I have always eaten the hearts of chickens, turkeys, and other fowl but I had never eaten deer heart until the NCSU Wildlife Club Wild Game Dinner last weekend. It was in the form of a kabob with peppers and onions and it was delicious. I can't wait til I get a chance to cook one myself.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Don’t eat it that often, but I like it pan seared with a little butter and seasoning of your choice. Makes a good sandwich or you can spice it up a bit and have fajitas or tacos.

I use to always grind them up in my burger meat, and then I tried it fried up with onions needless to say they don't go in the grinder anymore lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
Love it butter fried with salt and pepper. Also the best taco or fajita strip steaks you'll ever eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk