Who do you pull for and why?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Since I've been in the real world I learned that you should rate a college by their academics instead of their athletic departments.
Sounds like loser talk to me. Academic rankings are overrated. At least half the punks in college now should be in trade schools instead. Gimme how colleges were run in the 70s and 80s any day of the week.

As for prestigious academic ranking... I'll take an Ncsu, ecu in state grad over Princeton Harvard or Yale.

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like loser talk to me. Academic rankings are overrated. At least half the punks in college now should be in trade schools instead. Gimme how colleges were run in the 70s and 80s any day of the week.

As for prestigious academic ranking... I'll take an Ncsu, ecu in state grad over Princeton Harvard or Yale.

and to go farther than that, it has to be certain departments in the colleges.

everyone talks about the teachers that come out of UNC-W
My wife says that the ECU teachers are by far better than UNC-W

And yes, some of those schools that you learn to hate has very good programs.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
anyways, that's the sidetrack version. Back to regular programming of hating or pulling for your favorite teams.

• Haha
Reactions: jug

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If we are talking about college---Duke--brother went there and I got to go to football and basketball games. Made the mistake of wearing a DUKE pullover to a Redskins/Eagles game in Washington. That didn't go over to well as that was the time of the heated Maryland/Duke rivalry.

MLB---Braves fan since I can remember---TBS games when I was a kid when Joe Torre managed them

NFL--Only team I will watch are the Steelers

Is there still an NBA league?? LOL

I graduated from Barton College so didn't have the big time athletic feel in college.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I still root for Marshall University, my hometown school where my wife attended. I’ll root for WVU as well. As far as NC schools I don’t really have much affiliation with any of them but tend to pull for ECU and App State, because they both play Marshall regularly and we’re fairly close to ECU.

Reactions: jug

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Clemson

A guy I know went to Clemson in the late 70's and played there for a few years and was on the '81 Natl. Championship team.

I started watching them because of him and became caught up in the whole thing. The Tiger mascot, rubbing Howards rock, Danny Ford, a stadium named Death Valley....the sea of orange.

Just got excited about it as a young chap in '78 and it stuck. I wanted to be like him and play football there so badly.

Go Tigers !!!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

at least half the people now at universities should be in an entry level job. colleges were full of uneducated, unbright, incurious people.

when the federal government started funding universities through loans, scholarships, and grants,they created organizations that cared little about the mission of *higher* education and all about the mission of $$$$.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Auburn - My alma mater.

Braves - Grew up a few miles from Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. Hank Aaron gave the commencement address at my middle school graduation.

Coastal Carolina - Son is a student there now.

Packers - I've spent time every Fall in Wisconsin since my childhood days. The sense of community present at small-town pubs across the north woods of Wisconsin on football Sundays is something that has to be experienced to be understood.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Auburn - My alma mater.

woot!

Talked to a guy at soccer game last night. This is one of those games where I won’t be surprised if UGA wins by 40, which I fully expect to happen. But I won’t be surprised if Auburn wins either.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The U because my dad took me to games all the time growing up. Every year they would play at home against either FSU or ND. The games he brought me to, the U always won, and those years the U was ALWAYS fighting for the national championship.

Then the Miami Dolphins, the local team. Went to many of those games with my dad also.

I liked NC State because my best friend in HS in S Florida went there a year before I graduated HS. I kind of followed him up here, but had no chance to get into the college. Roomed with him and other State students for years, attended games, parties, etc, so the better State did, the better the nightlife was for me. So naturally I pulled for them.

Got to meet coach Sendek via work and was invited to several home games hard to get tickets for. That was also a plus.

Wife's family are all State fans as they attended Meredith college so our friend gets my nephew signed foot/basket balls every year for Christmas. He's 12 and his life goal is to get into NC State.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
University of Tennessee!! Go VOLS!!!! I graduated from there, as did my wife, her sister and her brother-in-law. I used to be a die hard Duke fan but I quit on them when they started spouting off on the social justice BLM bull$hit.
After Vols, I like Georgia, NCState and Clemson.
I also like Oregon for no other reason when they came to Knoxville to play the Vols a few years back, those were without a doubt the nicest, coolest fans of any university I’ve ever met. After a few years of season tickets, you learn to dread some games because the majority of fans are just terrible human beings (FLORIDA).

I currently have a bandwagon application in at coastal Carolina. Waiting to hear back if I got accepted…………….