Who carries a muzzle?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Just wondering if anyone carries a muzzle for a dog when out either trapping or hunting with dogs.

We were hunting in Maine last week. Wife's dog stepped in a foothold. No big deal, except I didn't anticipate that I'd get bit by the dog (maybe I should have.) My other dog is so even headed that he'd let me about do anything, so I never thought of it. Kallie is more of a drama queen.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Just wondering if anyone carries a muzzle for a dog when out either trapping or hunting with dogs.

We were hunting in Maine last week. Wife's dog stepped in a foothold. No big deal, except I didn't anticipate that I'd get bit by the dog (maybe I should have.) My other dog is so even headed that he'd let me about do anything, so I never thought of it. Kallie is more of a drama queen.

Let the wife get it out next time. lol

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If they are fresh in the trap they are scared more than anything. Most of mine were in that stage and a handful. If they have been in there a little while they usually are considerably easier to get out.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If they are fresh in the trap they are scared more than anything. Most of mine were in that stage and a handful. If they have been in there a little while they usually are considerably easier to get out.
Yep, happened right in front of us, which is probably why my wife was so freaked out. But as I told her, that's why we have Garmins on them (in case it happens where we don't see them) and the dangerous traps are mostly illegal on dry land.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Legal sets in some states are deadly on certain size dogs. I had to chase one all over the woods that had a 220 on his head from a bucket set. At that time it was legal. Don’t know if it still is up there or not.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Legal sets in some states are deadly on certain size dogs. I had to chase one all over the woods that had a 220 on his head from a bucket set. At that time it was legal. Don’t know if it still is up there or not.
From what I understood they changed that.

That being said Maine does allow bear trapping. I wonder what a bear trap would do to a human or dog leg?

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I carry a role of electrical tape about all the time in the woods, handy for alot of things, Always tape a dogs mouth shut if in a trap