Who all is filming their hunts this turkey season?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I plan to film all of my turkey hunts. There are many ways to do so. I would HATE the idea of me trying to film (click the button) might cost me a bird, so there have been several shots I've taken when I was in nearly nap mode, looked up, and HEY!!! RIGHT THERE is a turkey! :mad:

I'm using tactacam gun mounts now, which means I have to slide my hand up onto the gun barrel in order to press the button one time which starts the recording.

I have used it before, but in a blind, when all you care about is shooting the turkey, you sometimes forget about the camera BELOW the barrel while you rest the barrel on the blind window lol.

No question, the BEST video I've ever self taken was now 8 years ago. It was a "lid cam" attached to my hat. Unfortunately, it was so close to my nose and mouth, even though I lived it it's hard for me to believe I was breathing that hard, just because of a turkey.

He only gobbled twice on the limb (I think he saw my setup and decided to take action!), and surprised me when I peeked around the tree. I hit the record button and then panicked.

I plan to record on the barrel all of my hunts this year, though most will mostly show dirt, cow manure or weeds.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Heck I'd have to get one in front of me to film it then I ain't coordinated enough if I can concentrate on pulling trigger that's bout my limit. In seriousness be cool to see some y'all film some I love turkey videos

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I film when I’m calling for people. When I’m gunning, I’m gunning.

I like going back and listening to the call and response with the bird. Toying with the idea of recording audio only with a bird this year.

I’ve got an old GoPro with a remote. if the perfect setup happens, I’d like to mount it at the decoys and get a good video.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am videoing most of my hunts, as I usually do. Although, I didn't video my son's first bird Saturday, because I had multiple chairs to carry in, along with decoys, etc. I make a pretty good effort to capture the video most of the time, but I'm not going to let it cost me a shot. There have been a few kills where I got audio only at the moment of truth because I couldn't do both.

Last year my remote and my shotgun mic both developed a short. The remote was still under warranty (by a smaller company) when it started, so they sold me a new one at a 75% discount. The mic is done for, and being a Canon product, trying to deal with someone there is typical corporate futility. So right now I am without a mic, which is a vital part of the setup with turkeys. I'm tired of spending good money on quality equipment just to have it crap out on me at the same rate as chinese trail cameras. I may just go cheap this time. In fairness, it is subjected to heat and cold, moisture, dirt and debris, and being carried in a pack for many days in the year. It takes a beating over time.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I occasionally carry a video camera with me mostly if I'm field hunting and using a blind. I have an old cannon video camera. I bought a lid camera years ago when they were out at ddc and it never worked and they were zero help..... I even brought it back to the show the next year and they wouldn't help said it was a different dealer the previous year.

I've toyed with go pro knock off but I can never get that thing to work in the heat of the moment 😫 operator error for sure. Plus where to mount it was always an issue. I guess with the advancement over the past few years I should look at setting something up.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
i've been videoing my hunts and when i hunt with friends or my daughter the past few years. but my focus is the hunt so i won't let trying to get a bird on camera ruin a hunt.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Today’s smartphones do a pretty good job. It’s hard to hold them steady though. I’m sure there’s a gizmo for them that can be jabbed in the ground.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
i've been videoing my hunts and when i hunt with friends or my daughter the past few years. but my focus is the hunt so i won't let trying to get a bird on camera ruin a hunt.
So I was fortunate to get my hunts on camera this season. Not great but again, my focus was on the hunt itself. Distance can be deceiving. 30 yard shot. Strutter in the bottom right at end was 10 yards from me. I needed a partner.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice video @wolfman . I've had them stay around to flog their buddy, but I've never had them hang that close after the shot, just to get a look at the "hen".

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Nice video @wolfman . I've had them stay around to flog their buddy, but I've never had them hang that close after the shot, just to get a look at the "hen".
Thanks. Yea, I was shocked at the behavior. I guess they focused on their buddy flopping downhill and didn't notice my movement. But then I am completely exposed and proving you don't have to sound good to sound like a turkey.