Who accesses their grounds via Kayak?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So I have 0 kayak experience, but I have canoed the dan river. Imho, you'd have to be MUCH man to paddle upstream more than a short distance. foot pedals would serve you better.

I have had deer, treestands, 5 gallon gas tank etc in my canoe, and "gone" upstream some places with my trolling motor. But I think the Dan on most days, you would need to tack given the current. Lots of floating lumber on the Dan also.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm rigging a 10' Pelican right now for hunting and fishing these small creeks nearby. I'm adding both a 12v trolling motor and retractable/removable outriggers for stability because I'd like to be able to stand up to fish or hunt occasionally. It's almost completed, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Check YouTube, it's loaded with rigs equipped like that.

Yes, you have to register it but if it saves my shoulders and lets me hunt/fish farther from the ramp and longer without wearing myself out I'm all in.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got a Perception Pescador 10 and have been on the Dan on it.

If you're not concerned with paddling the deer out, I think this kayak would suit you fine. At the entry level price of under $500 to boot. I got mine at Dunham's and got an additional %20 off for joining their rewards program. The right paddle will help some for going upstream without a deer. I've made decent headway paddling upstream with no gear, but I wouldn't want my plan to include me paddling upstream. I'd probably continue downstream, and have a means to get back to my truck, or be able to drag my gear to where it's accessible. The Pescador has a sacrificial keel for dragging.

For what it's worth, I'd buy it again. Good luck on your choice, there are plenty of good ones out there!

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
biggest question how far is it from access point to hunting land? what does the bank look like? are you going to put something on the shoreline so you can find your spot to get out, its gonna be dark.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I think the yak in the picture is a vibe sea ghost 130, I have the same one and love it. It is good up to 500lbs so you should be able to carry a deer back up if need. If tracks really well and you can get a trolling motor mount from a guy here in NC that takes the place of the factory rudder so you can steer it with your feet. I am 6ft and was over 300lbs during the summer and I could stand up and fish in mine so it is plenty stable.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
biggest question how far is it from access point to hunting land? what does the bank look like? are you going to put something on the shoreline so you can find your spot to get out, its gonna be dark.

If I have to use public access, 1.7 mi. If I can gain access via the neighboring tract, 0.25 mi.

Haven’t seen the bank.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

If I have to use public access, 1.7 mi. If I can gain access via the neighboring tract, 0.25 mi.

Haven’t seen the bank.

That’s a long way to paddle up stream, even with a very light current

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So you can go get a deer you shoot via dry land but you cannot access the land to go hunt? Or are you just looking to be stealthy going in?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’d have to walk through the middle of the property to get to the river bottom. I have access to the entire parcel from land. I don’t want to tell every deer in the county I’m coming hunting. ?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I'd say walk the river bank, and make sure you've got a place to get in and out, before you spend any money.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
2nd the square stern canoe. I think a canoe is a no Brainer over a kayak in your situation. But i'd suggest a 2.5 hp outboard. Lighter than a trolling motor and battery. Plus runs forever on very little gas. You want have to worry about killing your battery going upstream. Look on Craigslist, bet you could find a canoe and motor for cheaper than a nicer new kayak. I've had a lot of experience in heavy loaded canoes, if I'm carrying anything more than a fishing pole the kayaks are staying home.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Still have one pontoon to fabricate. I extended the adjustable outrigger support just enough past the gunnel on the right side to mount a 24" 12v trolling motor. Made all of it out of materials I had laying around.....
yak.png

Attachments

• yak.png
    yak.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 11

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Looks good Longrifle....what is the outrigger made of and have you had a chance to use it yet?

sent from...... Tapatalk

23mako

Ten Pointer
I used to have a square stern canoe (it was an older model coleman scanoe) but sold it...Mack in NC on here has one and is a canoe junky.

That scanoe could haul like 600 pounds and was easily pushed with a 2.5hp 2 stroke outboard I have. It was really a great setup. Sold it because I got a free jon boat. They do some on craigslist from time to time so keep a lookout if you go that route.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
I have Jackson SOT kayaks and a Old Town 119 solo canoe. I use the canoe for hunting. I have had 2 doe's, treestand, pack, and rifle along with my 175# butt at the time in the canoe. Granted she was maxed out and do not advise but from having alot of experience in both the OT solo canoe is imo your best option for paddling versus the kayak. If you were to ever paddle deer out in a canoe I would recommend a OT Discovery 158 tandem and sit in it backwards as mentioned earlier. If you are considering a motor the a square back canoe either by Coleman or OT for what it is worth. Best of luck! Canoe hunting is such a blast! It allows me to continually fulfill my childhood dreams spurred on by those Field and Stream magazine covers where an old deer hunter in flantle shirts floating out with a big buck in the canoe.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks good Longrifle....what is the outrigger made of and have you had a chance to use it yet?

sent from...... Tapatalk
I've only had the chance to test the pontoon for buoyancy, it was all I could do to push it underwater. The Pelican is a 34" wide yak, it was pretty stable already. Can't wait to see what the pontoons add to stability, I think it will be plenty stable enough to let me stand to fish or hunt...

Believe it or not the outrigger and retractable arm was a section of a C channel support arm robbed off of an old motor home awning. Slides in and out, locks into place, and it's removable for transport. The pontoon is basically two-pieces, fabbed out of light guage sheet metal on a friend's finger brake. I later added a couple of supports inside for rigidity, sealed it, and riveted it together. It's 40"x7"x8", total weight is only about 5 pounds. It'll be etched, primed, and coated with an elastomeric.
If this works like I think it will the 13" Hobie kayak I got from boondock is the next on the list...

My apologies for the hijack DB....I'd hoped it would show some inexpensive alternatives. I'm planning to use this like you are, for hunting.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns

Haven’t seen the bank.
I hope you get access through the neighbors land. 1.7 mile up stream paddle in a light current could take a few hours.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Good choice. I had a 2.5 Nissan 2 stroke that weighted next to nothing and would push my wife, myself, and 3 80lbs dogs in a 16ft old town canoe pretty fast

damarshall7

Four Pointer
Still have one pontoon to fabricate. I extended the adjustable outrigger support just enough past the gunnel on the right side to mount a 24" 12v trolling motor. Made all of it out of materials I had laying around.....
View attachment 24344
Do the pontoons sit in the water? when i made some i found that the boat paddled better and faster if the pontoon was slightly out of the water. The only time they would touch the water was if you leaned over. Also consider if you can make a full paddle stroke with the pontoon in that position. Just something to consider.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve already inquired into what I can buy a 2.3 hp tiller engine for.

I won’t be paddling. ?
Smart idea. I canoed into the RRNWR a couple years ago. I only went about 1/2 mile down stream from launch. Water level was a little down and current was light, figured I could paddle back up it pretty easy. It rained for 3 straight days while I was trying to hunt. Took me almost 4 hours to paddle that 1/2 mile back up stream. My arms were jello for a week after that trip. I vowed if I ever did that again, I would have a motor on my canoe.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do the pontoons sit in the water? when i made some i found that the boat paddled better and faster if the pontoon was slightly out of the water. The only time they would touch the water was if you leaned over. Also consider if you can make a full paddle stroke with the pontoon in that position. Just something to consider.

Excellent points. I haven't launched it yet but their height is adjustable up to 12" so I should be ok. They're also adjustable for stand-off from the kayak. I can bring them right alongside or as far out as two feet. As for paddling, I do think I can get a full stroke but honestly, I plan on using the trolling motor as the main propulsion. The pontoons are also installed so they can be easily removed. If I get in a jam, run out of battery etc, and have to paddle out I can remove them and stow them in the aft deck area.

Last edited:

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Smart idea. I canoed into the RRNWR a couple years ago. I only went about 1/2 mile down stream from launch. Water level was a little down and current was light, figured I could paddle back up it pretty easy. It rained for 3 straight days while I was trying to hunt. Took me almost 4 hours to paddle that 1/2 mile back up stream. My arms were jello for a week after that trip. I vowed if I ever did that again, I would have a motor on my canoe.
Wiseman says hunt upstream then paddle home downstream especially if you bag a big buck...

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Check out one of these Briggs and Stratton motor coupled to a jet drive this guy uses this one to scoot up and down rivers near here fishing for smallmouth

Attachments

• CE789D57-D80F-42DF-976F-ED44D66F84B9.jpeg
    CE789D57-D80F-42DF-976F-ED44D66F84B9.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 9
  • A1BB4F9A-FF24-4478-A034-FF2D59359481.jpeg
    A1BB4F9A-FF24-4478-A034-FF2D59359481.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 10