White skiff - camo question

trjr3700

Button Buck
I'd like to utilize my skiff to get to where I would like to hunt (primarily Falls, Shearon Harris, Jordan and possibly Badin). Any thoughts on how to camouflage my skiff (very white). I was considering camo burlap or netting to hide the boat and then shore hunting in a makeshift blind. Has anyone had success doing this? I'd rather not construct a boat blind but may need to. Suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You only need to camo it from shore view.
Carry some tomato stakes and burlap. Zip tie to stake and all you do is stick it in the ground and pull tightly then the next.
Use plastic or fiberglass. Lighter and flexible.
I did this with john boat and canoe and it worked. Just carried a stand and walked in 50 to 100 yards. Still insite of boat.
Fished mid day and lunch then went back for late day hunt.
Looked for bigger sections for maybe less traffic and harder to get to without long walk.
Never ran into anyone other than on the boat too and from the area.

trjr3700

Button Buck
Thanks. Great suggestions.

Follow up question - do you have a suggestion for the best place to obtain camo material?

Larry Eckart

Four Pointer
I'd like to utilize my skiff to get to where I would like to hunt (primarily Falls, Shearon Harris, Jordan and possibly Badin). Any thoughts on how to camouflage my skiff (very white). I was considering camo burlap or netting to hide the boat and then shore hunting in a makeshift blind. Has anyone had success doing this? I'd rather not construct a boat blind but may need to. Suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Another option is simply to use a grey boat cover that's oversized and drape it over your boat. Particularly for divers this will work just fine.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You only need to camo it from shore view.
Carry some tomato stakes and burlap. Zip tie to stake and all you do is stick it in the ground and pull tightly then the next.
Use plastic or fiberglass. Lighter and flexible.
I did this with john boat and canoe and it worked. Just carried a stand and walked in 50 to 100 yards. Still insite of boat.
Fished mid day and lunch then went back for late day hunt.
Looked for bigger sections for maybe less traffic and harder to get to without long walk.
Never ran into anyone other than on the boat too and from the area.

Im pretty sure you are talking deer hunting,,, he’s talking ducks

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Im pretty sure you are talking deer hunting,,, he’s talking ducks

Crap
You would be correct.
Never seen the section of the post.

Could see it working the same but most areas I hunted on Jordan the mud was so bad no way I would duck hunt on the ground.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. Great suggestions.

Follow up question - do you have a suggestion for the best place to obtain camo material?
I haven't shopped it hard but I've seen an 8x20 camo net for $40-60 online. You could roll it out over the boat just fine.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Not familiar with the lakes you mentioned, but I’ve spent more time than I care to think about standing in belly deep water in between 3 or 4 pine trees that I jabbed in the sand on the coast. Just hid the boat at the shore and walked out to the depth I wanted. just be prepared to alternate between freezing and sweating if the birds fall in deeper water or you have cripples. And for the love of all that is holy, make sure you don’t have even the smallest pinhole in your waders.

Steelshot Scott

I don't know how pretty your boat is, but I would recommend that you just bite your lip and paint it camo with spray paint. I know it is hard to do that to a shiny boat, but it will make it work better for you if you intend to do much hunting.

If you are a casual hunter, few trips a year. drape burlap over it. If you are a serious hunter that will be out once a week or more, I recommend painting it. It will simplify your life.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
My cousin would do this once or twice a year with his Ken craft. Lots of camo burlap, cut pine saplings to hang over the side, and grass mats. And he had a t top. It was a lot of work , it wouldnt be worth it week after week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
What kind of skiff do you have. Would a floating scissor rig work. Would need a larger skiff to transport it.

trjr3700

Button Buck
Carolina Skiff (218 DLV). I've considered a scissor rig or some other frame set-up but really wanted to do something more simple. Not really looking to hunt from the boat, just using it for transportation.

rray11ncsu

Button Buck
Avian X a-frame blind and brush it in. Game changer and can be broken down really well, even rolls up with marsh grass tucked in the pockets
Carolina Skiff (218 DLV). I've considered a scissor rig or some other frame set-up but really wanted to do something more simple. Not really looking to hunt from the boat, just using it for transportation.

Larry Eckart

Four Pointer

Thanks in advance.

Here's an entirely different train of thought on a white boat. I quote John Cartier in his book, "Modern Waterfowling," page 269:
"Even when there is no snow on the ground or ice on the water, a white boat is often ignored by northern, late-season ducks. I don't know why that is true. If I had to guess I'd say that late migrating ducks may be used to snow and they therefore pay little heed to anything white. Hunters who use white boats usually dress in white clothes."

Here on the coast, ducks are also used to seeing commercial crab or commercial fishing boats that are also frequently white.

I have the same issue with a 16' classic Whaler. Instead of trying to hide it, I will either put it off to the side and stand in the water or on shore or dress myself in white to match the boat. I'm sure that will draw a lot of laughs from passing hunters.