White Perch, Who Likes To Eat Em

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve caught the up in the Adirondacks but don’t recall catching many regularly or any under 15”. They had nasty teeth too. I was told they were a member of the walleye family or the other way around and they look like a white walleye for the most part. The ones posted here look different for some reason. I used to like catching a random one. Unexpected break from 3-5 lbs bass, pike, and fat pickerel. All fun but white perch were the anomaly. I didn’t even know they where around when I lived down there. Good little fighters if my 20 year old memories are good.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve caught the up in the Adirondacks but don’t recall catching many regularly or any under 15”. They had nasty teeth too. I was told they were a member of the walleye family or the other way around and they look like a white walleye for the most part. The ones posted here look different for some reason.

None under 15"??? Those weren't white perch...

I think you may be describing whitefish.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’m not sure, always called them white perch. It was real rare and never saw small ones. I looked at pics and the real large ones look right. Maybe just a weird random one I picked up. Caught them from shore or docks too. There were a bunch of small silver fish we hand fed with the brim/bluegills we called all either sunfish or Bluegill, no delineation beyond that. The silver fish were maybe 8-10”. I was told some kind of shiner someone dumped in along with massive pike they’d caught up north. I wonder now if the silver fish were smaller white perch looking at pics. After dummy introduced Pike, Bass fishing suffered some. As a kid they seemed everywhere. As a teen I caught a lot but not like when I was a kid.

todobien

Eight Pointer
I’ve caught the up in the Adirondacks but don’t recall catching many regularly or any under 15”. They had nasty teeth too. I was told they were a member of the walleye family or the other way around and they look like a white walleye for the most part. The ones posted here look different for some reason. I used to like catching a random one. Unexpected break from 3-5 lbs bass, pike, and fat pickerel. All fun but white perch were the anomaly. I didn’t even know they where around when I lived down there. Good little fighters if my 20 year old memories are good.
No nasty teeth in white perch either.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Sure it wasn't a sauger? That's a close relative to Walleye, toothy like a walleye. Better eating than white perch, but not criticizing white perch.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Great catfish bait there. Many a people would buy them for bait.
In Kansas they’re considered an invasive fish. It’s illegal to have a live one in your possession, or to release one you catch, you are however allowed to use them for cut bait on the water you caught them in.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
May have been a sauger. Just know what they called them there. Def looked like a perch and walleye relative but grey/white. Not exactly clean water and old toxic waste dumps supposedly nearby so maybe chupacabre

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Lake Hickory seems to have so many white perch that they run on the small side.

I keep my boat at the marina down at taylorsville beach. Those coves down there are infested with white perch.

Norman seems to have the bigger white perch.

I love to eat white perch, and so do all my neighbors up here in the mountains.

Down there around lenoir almost everyone I talk to says they won't eat them and they taste bad.View attachment 61892
Just occurred to me who is in your profile picture..... Git..... Git on outta here...... He had beautiful hair and all..... and you could tell he was obviously Male...... been rough talkin anyone lately?

WormFarmer

Button Buck
Just occurred to me who is in your profile picture..... Git..... Git on outta here...... He had beautiful hair and all..... and you could tell he was obviously Male...... been rough talkin anyone lately?
I've been rough talking a few squatches in between white perch trips on lake hickory