White paint on trees in Holly Shelter?

gr_andrews

Button Buck
Contributor
Hi!
This is my first year attempting to hunt public lands. I went into Holly Shelter yesterday to do some scouting before bow season opens next week. Had never been in there before.
I noticed more than a few trees painted with white paint. My inexperience showed me that I don't know much about hunting yet. (This is my third year. First year bowhunting. First year public land hunting)

Can anyone offer any clue to these?
View media item 128
View media item 127

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
the double white ring is a Red Cockaded woodpecker nesting tree,,,,normally surrounded by a perimeter of trees with a single white band

see them all over wherever red cockaded woodpeckers are found,,,,,,Sandhills gameland and Ft Bragg are full of them

gr_andrews

Button Buck
Contributor
Interesting, There were a LOT of double banded. I don't remember seeing any with a single band. But I was taking in everything as much as I could on my first outing. Thanks!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Seems like Ft Bragg and Ft Polk had red reflective markings. If you entered into that red Zone.. you and the entire chain of command was summoned to explain why if you got caught.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yes, back a while ago they were marking "core areas" with the red bands/markings,,,,do believe that ended (at least as far as I know)

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know about the white dots, but if you run across any painted and capped pvc pipes sticking out of the ground, please leave them alone. They are water table monitoring wells for correlating soil type with water table.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
The double bands are RCW trees, as mentioned earlier. The dots could be marking nest trees to come back and paint or could be timber markings. The MST should have some signs somewhere.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Like WM and LD said the bands are Red Cockaded Woodpecker nesting trees. Means there is a cavity there and a nesting colony. this is one from the sandhills where I hunt.

Attachments

• 1-DSCF1783.JPG
    1-DSCF1783.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 28

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you know you are in Red Cockaded Woodpecker central when this is what the woods looks like,,,,,,,,that's right,,,,seven of them dang trees in one spot

IMG_0444.JPG

scott10

Button Buck
gr_andrews Thanks for asking about this, I have wondered what the markings meant. I see and hear woodpeckers all the time when I am hunting Holly Shelter.