White Oak Gameland

Wolfpack Archer

Button Buck
I got drawn for a late season hunt on the White Oak gameland and was wondering if anyone else has hunted here before and if they had any pointers. I'm new to the area and fairly new to duck hunting, so any help will be appreciated.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
You could walk I suppose. It would be almost a mile to the impoundment and I believe all the bridges are on the river side so at least another half mile unless you drug a boat to cross the ditch. By far the easiest way is to put in at the ramp in stella. On a calm day you can easily paddle that distance. I've hunted it a few times. The best days are when its blowing enough to push them off the river. Filled with grass so your best bets are open water pockets.

Wolfpack Archer

Button Buck
\
You could walk I suppose. It would be almost a mile to the impoundment and I believe all the bridges are on the river side so at least another half mile unless you drug a boat to cross the ditch. By far the easiest way is to put in at the ramp in stella. On a calm day you can easily paddle that distance. I've hunted it a few times. The best days are when its blowing enough to push them off the river. Filled with grass so your best bets are open water pockets.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I'm gonna head out there on a sunday and look around but that definitely helps.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

you are a gentleman and a scholar,,,,well done

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wolfpack Archer
A word of warning. Sloan Farm Rd. and Hargett Ave. are private roads. You MUST have a valid permit to access the game lands via those roads, and the ONLY day you can legally scout by entering by those road is the day before the hunt.
The only place you can find that information is below the tear line on the permit itself.
I got threatened by a resident on Hargett Ave. one time when I stopped by while in the area one day to see if it was worth the drive over for a dove permit I had. Yeah, I know, the regulations only state that you have to have a permit, and the signs by the roads themselves say you only have to have a permit. That is what nearly got me in trouble. I wrote the NCWRC about this requesting that put something in the regulations guide about the only permissible scouting days, but apparently I was ignored.

Wolfpack Archer

Button Buck
Wolfpack Archer
A word of warning. Sloan Farm Rd. and Hargett Ave. are private roads. You MUST have a valid permit to access the game lands via those roads, and the ONLY day you can legally scout by entering by those road is the day before the hunt.
The only place you can find that information is below the tear line on the permit itself.
I got threatened by a resident on Hargett Ave. one time when I stopped by while in the area one day to see if it was worth the drive over for a dove permit I had. Yeah, I know, the regulations only state that you have to have a permit, and the signs by the roads themselves say you only have to have a permit. That is what nearly got me in trouble. I wrote the NCWRC about this requesting that put something in the regulations guide about the only permissible scouting days, but apparently I was ignored.

Ohhh, thank you so much for mentioning that. I don't want to get in any trouble. I appreciate it.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Ohhh, thank you so much for mentioning that. I don't want to get in any trouble. I appreciate it.
A couple years ago I gothassled by a nearby resident there too--even though I had a valid permit. My suspicion is that guy thinks he owns the place and wants to keep it for himself. A real life troll guarding the bridge !!!

Aythya

Eight Pointer
Go by water- no worries. If you paddle or go by power hug the left bank going downstream from Stella below the RR trestle and go through the cut that cuts off the loop in the river. Especially helpful if you are paddling and the wind is blowing.