White Oak acorns

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I planted some white oak acorns in some containers back in the Fall, some of them have sprouted.
Any suggestions on when to plant them outside?20200215_152610.jpg

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
For my saw tooth oaks, I move them to the 3 gallon black containers (like a nursery has) and put them on the eastern side of my house beside the water hose. I water them all summer and then set them out in October/November. But, I suspect you could set them out now; but I would keep them watered this summer.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If they have green leaves now, I wouldn't plant them outside. All of the oak seedlings in nc, have had over 400 chilling hours ( between 32 and 45 degrees) to get them fully dormant right now. They need to be dormant right now to protect from freeze damage. I'd wait until the last frost date for your area or at least when you see the oak seedlings in the woods starting to leaf out.
Here's a link to the last frost dates https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/average-last-spring-frost-dates-for-selected-north-carolina-locations

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I have a similar question - when can I transplant seedlings (or can I?) from one spot to another? We have a nice large white oak on our property that will basically be in the side yard once we build our house. It has dropped a fair amount of acorns and I have seen a few sprouts the last year or two, but I don't need another (eventually) big oak in that area of the yard. I want to have a few in what will be that back yard, and maybe even in the wooded area behind the house, which is primarily pines right now.
When is the best time, and what is the best way to transplant? Or am I better off picking up acorns next fall and starting them inside like rubline is? Or just pick up and plant them all at once in the Fall?

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
pir8rn - I transplant all the time. Anytime I see one come up, whatever time of year (usually in the summer when they are leafed out and I can ID) - I dig it up and put in a 3 or 5 gallon black nursery pot (whatever I have on hand); mix in some compost, or potting soil and keep watered through the summer. Then plant where I want to in the Fall.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
While they're in this stage don't put them where the squirrels can get to them for they'll surely dig them up to get what remains of the acorn. I lost a dozen Chinquapin oaks some years back when I took the wire cover off the bedding box I sprouted them in because they were growing up against it (8" to 9") tall.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Whenever you plant them, tube them or cage’em. I’d be more worried about that than when to plant.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I always put them in pots outside in the fall with hardware cloth as a cover over the dirt. pot is 10 inch around i put a 10 innc circle of Hardware cloth in it. never had a problem with squirrels doing this and I dont have to water them until springtime and when I plant i just have to cut open the mesh. Chestnuts do the same way.