White muzzleloader

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Recently inherited a white muzzleloader and looking for info on it. Tried researching but haven’t found much about load data. It’s the white lightening model on .504 bore. Anybody else have one of these out there?

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
You may have already ran across Doc White's site, but there is a ton of info there on to read through. White barrels are shallow grooved with fast twists and are really more designed to shoot conical bullets, but also can do well with sabots. The shorter saboted bullets may not shoot as good due to the fast twist.

I killed a lot of deer with 80 grains of Pyrodex P, Doc's main recommended powder for #11 caps, and a 480 grain Powerpunch conical, which is no longer made. I now shoot an all lead 435 grain bullet in a sabot, still with Pryo P. A lot of White shooters use No Excuses bullets. White bores generally run .503-.504, so either slugging the bore and measuring or ordering the sizing pack would best determine what size conical you would need, if you wanted to shoot a heavy, all lead slug.

Hope this is ok to post, but here is another forum with a page dedicated to Whites. Lots of good reading there.

Last edited:

ctsnow

Six Pointer
@firedawg60
Thanks a bunch. I have a bunch of 777 laying around because that’s what I typically use. I’ll look over the website and order a few different bullets to see what shoots best. I also inherited some miscellaneous bullets that aren’t labeled so I’d like to figure out what those are.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
@firedawg60
Thanks a bunch. I have a bunch of 777 laying around because that’s what I typically use. I’ll look over the website and order a few different bullets to see what shoots best. I also inherited some miscellaneous bullets that aren’t labeled so I’d like to figure out what those are.
777 should work well. It wasn't around when I purchased mine, so I have just stuck with what was recommended at the time.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You'll need a special size bullet as well, I've got plenty I'll share for a decent cost. I have the Whitetail Hunter in stainless and it's amazingly accurate but it's like most of the older ML, a pita to take apart and clean.
I shot mine for years and wouldn't have any problem shooting it tomorrow if the situation presented that I had to.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
You'll need a special size bullet as well, I've got plenty I'll share for a decent cost. I have the Whitetail Hunter in stainless and it's amazingly accurate but it's like most of the older ML, a pita to take apart and clean.
I shot mine for years and wouldn't have any problem shooting it tomorrow if the situation presented that I had to.
What bullets do you have? It will probably be a while before I get around to setting it up

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What bullets do you have? It will probably be a while before I get around to setting it up
I bought all that Buffalo Bullet had in stock(they no longer make them) several years ago. I'll have to look and see what they are called as I haven't looked at them in years. They are solid lead, lubed with a plastic skirt.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Attachments

• 16365921822802068378000993030424.jpg
    16365921822802068378000993030424.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1636592213043478384337382557184.jpg
    1636592213043478384337382557184.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 15