White bass run question

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I have been wanting to try and fish the white bass run for many years. I now have a small boat that I plan to target the eno river with this spring. Any tips or ideas as to what to look for when the white bass start to run up the rivers? How far did they go? What time and water temperature triggers the run? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Always heard and read about it, just would like to experience it one time.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
They go as far as they can get. It’s usually to the damn.

Late February into March seem best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I wasn't laughing at the question,l but since you mentioned it and tend to belittle a whole county constantly look at your question it is pretty funny.

Look, Just because I don’t like your neck of the woods don’t take it so personal. I wasn’t asking about the white bass run around muddy creek. Also wasn’t trying to provoke an argument on a simple question.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Most stop around Pennys Bend on the eno. you cant get there in a boat most years(water too low) ........also if you go down from the ramp hang a left into the flat river. The whites there run all the way up to Michie Dam but you cant get a boat that far either but good fishing can be had the first mile up the flat and several miles up the eno in a boat.
This is from that area last year...........

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Most stop around Pennys Bend on the eno. you cant get there in a boat most years(water too low) ........also if you go down from the ramp hang a left into the flat river. The whites there run all the way up to Michie Dam but you cant get a boat that far either but good fishing can be had the first mile up the flat and several miles up the eno in a boat.
This is from that area last year...........

Thank you sir, that is the valuable information I was looking for. I have been up both river in a small boat bass fishing so I’m slightly familiar with running but know you can’t go but so far.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Yes , sometime into March , if your local give it a try when you can. Most people won't say when they are running, but you will see the mass of people out and I wouldn't go any near Penny bend. Lots of bucket people keeping everything no matter the size, hopefully the law will catch some of them. Also wish they would do a bit of stalking since many of them leave their trash behind. I have seen a big decline in the 'run' the last few years. You will also get some fairly large boats running through the Eno and into the Flat , way to big and way to fast (wake). The size limit is now 14" so not so many of those around , at least that I caught. I stay out in the main lake nowadays and do pretty well.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Yes , sometime into March , if your local give it a try when you can. Most people won't say when they are running, but you will see the mass of people out and I wouldn't go any near Penny bend. Lots of bucket people keeping everything no matter the size, hopefully the law will catch some of them. Also wish they would do a bit of stalking since many of them leave their trash behind. I have seen a big decline in the 'run' the last few years. You will also get some fairly large boats running through the Eno and into the Flat , way to big and way to fast (wake). The size limit is now 14" so not so many of those around , at least that I caught. I stay out in the main lake nowadays and do pretty well.

gotcha. I don’t want to keep any, I just like catching white bass and haven’t gotten on any the last few years in the lakes. I used to slay them at falls every years in February in certain areas while bass fishing but just haven’t gotten on them lately.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't seen any shortage of fish but I have heard that from others. the min 14 inch size limit is tough to get but the fish are there. i like the Haw run a lot better but I can get to the upper part of falls quicker after work.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
i like the Haw run a lot better but I can get to the upper part of falls quicker after work.

Boy that brings back memories. 25 years ago, We would park on the side of 64 at the bridge and walk about a mile. We had some humdinger trips. The best ones were when the hybrids were mixed in with the whites running. Talk about giving the reels a workout!!!!!??

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Boy that brings back memories. 25 years ago, We would park on the side of 64 at the bridge and walk about a mile. We had some humdinger trips. The best ones were when the hybrids were mixed in with the whites running. Talk about giving the reels a workout!!!!!??
yep, I miss those days with the Hybrids..........

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

that sounds like my kind of party

nettereo16

Six Pointer

I saw the warden ticket a guy at Penny's last year with some shorts. I saw him there a few different times and once I looked up while fishing and saw him hiding in full camo behind a tree watching me. It was a bit awkward because I didn't want to call him out so I just kept fishing!
Glad to see they are on the enforcement!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yep silly and young enough to do that trip before work. It was bizzare to me how daylight focused the hybrids were, No bites then a flurry then nothing. But that was fine with me, I had to work anyway.
@Duckmauler dhc you might want to check the jordan haw river run. you could put the small boat in at robeson creek or the big boat and get to plenty of white bass.

Bluecord

Six Pointer
White bass fishing brings up so many childhood memories. I’m not 100% about NC but back home in Ohio, it went hand and hand with when the dogwoods started blooming like mentioned earlier, extremely accurate. Cast master lures in varying sizes were hands down the BEST lure too. But I remember my dad always saying if you had a silver watch on and tied a hook to it you would catch em. And that’s how it was if you found em lol. We would walk river banks for miles and miles when we were kids, tons of fun.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I wait for high rock water temp to be about 55ish then I start fishing the Yadkin hard.
Shiny lures reign supreme. Catch plenty on 2” grubs too. You can catch two at a time that way.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Is there still a run of white bass in the uwharrie river every spring anymore? Last white bass I caught was with a cast net at badin,had to throw it back. When I was a kid fishing with my dad late afternoon the white bass would come up on top with shad so thick you could hear them hitting the hull of the boat. An acre of water would thrash on top throwing lil George's until arms were out

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
yep silly and young enough to do that trip before work. It was bizzare to me how daylight focused the hybrids were, No bites then a flurry then nothing. But that was fine with me, I had to work anyway.
@Duckmauler dhc you might want to check the jordan haw river run. you could put the small boat in at robeson creek or the big boat and get to plenty of white bass.

I've caught some seriously nice white bass up to 4 pounds in that part of the Haw. Used to take my stump jumper boat up there to keep from damaging the lower unit on my bass boat. Caught many on Rebel Craw cranks, Arbogast Mud Bugs, and Rooster Tails. As good as a white bass pulls, add some current, and it becomes quite a tussle.

There's a bar up above the dam that the hybrids used to herd the shad up on right before dark in summer. It turned on like a switch and was as wide open action as you could get. Two of us would catch 100+ fish each. A brand new 1/8 oz. Rattle Trap when the fish started biting would barely have any paint left when the bite stopped. You'd never know if it was going to be 3/4 of a pound or 10 pounds, or anywhere in between when you set the hook, anything was possible. Even took the fly rod and streamers there a few times for sport. Good times!

Jim

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I stopped by Penny's Bend on Friday afternoon 2-26-21 for some casting practice. No fish catching involved. Just like the lake, the river is up and muddy. It was more a case of Spring Fever & going through the motions than expecting to catch anything. Every day is getting closer to it happening though.

Jim