Whistle Pigs

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I shot one last week running through the saplings along the hedgerow beside my barn. Dang thing looked like a souped up squirrel running along the saplings about 6’ high.. I’d never seen one go through bushes/saplings like that. He couldn’t tote the 28 gauge 1oz copper plated 4’s “varmint loads” I’d hand loaded. [emoji23][emoji23]

Did you eat it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I can reload a box of 3/4 oz copper plated 4’s for less than a box of 12 gauge birdshot at Wally world. Plus. You can’t let one gun have all the fun. 😂

Just ribbing. Going by what I have on hand I believe the .22 Mag is like a penny or two difference from a reload shot shell.

You have me thinking about all the methods I've shot a whistle pig. I got one with a crossbow bolt once, bugger took it down the burrow with him, that was an expensive lesson. With a 1911 and shotguns too. Even the truck tires. Then I had a thought, I've never done it with a .30 cal rifle. So that's my life's mission.... nah too expensive right now 😂😂

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Nah, but those 4’s sure ate him up.............

Man I had some pigs earlier this year and no smokes they really do eat everything. They were so happy with rabbit, squirrel, and fish remans. The pigs would just chew the heads up like hard candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Just ribbing. Going by what I have on hand I believe the .22 Mag is like a penny or two difference from a reload shot shell.

You have me thinking about all the methods I've shot a whistle pig. I got one with a crossbow bolt once, bugger took it down the burrow with him, that was an expensive lesson. 😂😂
Did the same thing with my bow and lost a good broadhead as well. I watched him running across the pasture with the arrow sticking out both sides. Those things are tougher than they look

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
For those of you who are wondering about eating them (or wasting them) do yourself a favor and clean one and be sure to take the glands out of the rear legs and under front shoulders. Same as deer the sonner you get him cleaned and cooled down the better the meat will be.That is the key to good stuff. Cut them Up like a rabbit and Let them age a few days in the fridge and cook them like momma cooks pot roast on Sunday.

In a heavy Dutch oven or big cast iron skillet Salt and pepper the pieces then Sear And brown in some hot oil add in some onion and and cut the heat down to low add crushed garlic (careful to not let garlic burn) then beef stock /or some red wine to cover the pig, a teaspoon of molasses or sorghum and what ever Spices/ herbs u like ( I use bay leaves, couple tablespoons of Worcestershire, and thyme). Cover it up and simmer on low for about 2 hours making sure to keep enough liquid in there Then throw in carrot chunks and sweet potatoes and simmer for another hour or so til carrots are soft.At this point it should be fall off the bone tender and you can mix up a flour water slurry to thicken into gravy To spoonover your mashed tater side or eggs noodles. You will thank me later and If you dont like groundhog after this then I’ll trade you pound for pound for venison🤫

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
For those of you who are wondering about eating them (or wasting them) do yourself a favor and clean one and be sure to take the glands out of the rear legs and under front shoulders. Same as deer the sonner you get him cleaned and cooled down the better the meat will be.That is the key to good stuff. Cut them Up like a rabbit and Let them age a few days in the fridge and cook them like momma cooks pot roast on Sunday.

In a heavy Dutch oven or big cast iron skillet Salt and pepper the pieces then Sear And brown in some hot oil add in some onion and and cut the heat down to low add crushed garlic (careful to not let garlic burn) then beef stock /or some red wine to cover the pig, a teaspoon of molasses or sorghum and what ever Spices/ herbs u like ( I use bay leaves, couple tablespoons of Worcestershire, and thyme). Cover it up and simmer on low for about 2 hours making sure to keep enough liquid in there Then throw in carrot chunks and sweet potatoes and simmer for another hour or so til carrots are soft.At this point it should be fall off the bone tender and you can mix up a flour water slurry to thicken into gravy To spoonover your mashed tater side or eggs noodles. You will thank me later and If you dont like groundhog after this then I’ll trade you pound for pound for venison🤫
Awesome you should add this to the wild game recipe section

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor

You have me thinking about all the methods I've shot a whistle pig. I got one with a crossbow bolt once, bugger took it down the burrow with him, that was an expensive lesson. With a 1911 and shotguns too. Even the truck tires. Then I had a thought, I've never done it with a .30 cal rifle. So that's my life's mission.... nah too expensive right now 😂😂
Had this exact thought before and the wife helped me out by accident. She’s usually pretty good about knowing my different guns before I lost them in the terrible the boating accident, I was outside working earlier this week and had chicken crap on my boots and I saw this guy grazing in my clover about 150 yards away. I told my wife to go grab the .17 HMR out of the safe and in a rush she runs out with my .3006 700 bdl. Both guns look almost identical black synthetic and both have 4-16 Leopold 50mm scopes. Hell I have to double check the barrel when I get them out. So the dude is standing up looking a bit nervous with the action up at the house so i figure now or never and I chamber the 150 grain hornady btsp. Gun is an inch high at 100 and dead nuts at 200 so I propped on a cherry tree in the yard hold just under his ear and let fly. Earholed him so I even saved a neck roast but His eye blew out so no eye ball soup lol. He’s in the freezer for dinner in the fall and I’ll try to remember some Picts when I cook him. ACC659F7-A24B-41D4-B387-17534072B74C.jpeg

shadebaby

Six Pointer
Finally in the club for this year. .223 did the job.
6f283b35399067c23c9b7d7c1d2fc76c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You guys are mean shooting them pigs. I used to trap with a have-a-❤ trap and turn them lose for my black and tan hound to play with.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Somewhere out here eluding the bullet is a big cinnamon colored ground grizzly that I'd like to snipe and have stuffed in a standing position with a beer coozy in each hand that I can use for adult beverages while lounging in the Lazyboy..

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tod, we did not have them or skunks when I was a kid. Heck, we did not have deer or coyotes either but they are all plentiful here now and I am only a couple of hours from you. I have seen a groundhog as far east as Plymouth, NC. If you have any patches of kudzu around, that would be a likely place to find them.

And I guess the next four legged pest invader will be possums on the half shell!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No you do not. They are a pain in the ass and make holes everywhere.
When I was a kid, I thought they were awesome, target rich environment and all that. Now it’s more of a chore than anything else. I’ve quit even collecting the ones I kill. I just leave em lay in hopes of catching another varmint capitalizing on the free meal.

My FIL’s place in Va is covered in the damn things. Rarely do I ride around the farm without at least seeing a few. More often than not, I take one or more of them out for good.