which smoothe bore to buy?

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
If you were going to buy one smooth bore flintlock for deer, turkey and small game, what caliber would it be and why?

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
First choice for many smoothbore hunters is 20 gauge AKA .62 caliber. Ball size is .600 RB.

A .600 RB weighs about 325 grains, which would be sufficient for deer. For critters and birds, use one birdshot size larger than standard if available. For instance, doves normally using “8’s”, I use “7-1/2’s”. To compensate for the ball count loss going to the larger size, I increase the shot load by an 1/8 ounce.
So, 1-1/4 oz of 7-1/2 for doves.

Other choices among barrel makers are 28 gauge (.550 RB) weighing 250 grains
and 24 gauge (.580 RB) weighing 292 grains, and the “big honker”, 12 gauge (715 RB) weighing 583 grains.

If you are going to shoot cheap, you’ll want a round ball mound, and .62 caliber (.600 RB) is common.
It’s also easier to resell when the time comes.

For a finished smoothbore look for a used Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (“TVM”) smoothbore for around $750 to $900. New ones are over a thousand and delivery is about a year.

I sold a used TVM Fowler to a feller in Smithfield for about $800. I can’t get him to sell it back to me.

Hope this helps

Buck

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
First choice for many smoothbore hunters is 20 gauge AKA .62 caliber. Ball size is .600 RB.

A .600 RB weighs about 325 grains, which would be sufficient for deer. For critters and birds, use one birdshot size larger than standard if available. For instance, doves normally using “8’s”, I use “7-1/2’s”. To compensate for the ball count loss going to the larger size, I increase the shot load by an 1/8 ounce.

and 24 gauge (.580 RB) weighing 292 grains, and the “big honker”, 12 gauge (715 RB) weighing 583 grains.

If you are going to shoot cheap, you’ll want a round ball mound, and .62 caliber (.600 RB) is common.

For a finished smoothbore look for a used Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (“TVM”) smoothbore for around $750 to $900. New ones are over a thousand and delivery is about a year.

I sold a used TVM Fowler to a feller in Smithfield for about $800. I can’t get him to sell it back to me.

Hope this helps

Buck
tons of great info. thanks!

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some additional general points of view about smoothbores...if I was going to only buy one smoothbore for an unknown wide range of hunting possibilities that could include moose, etc, I'd go with the .62cal/20ga.

But if hunting is basically NC squirrels / rabbits / doves / turkey/ deer...I found no difference between 28ga & 20ga.
And IMO, most of it has to do with the relatively close range aspects of smoothbores in general.
Examples with both smoothbore gauges, all taken at typical 20-30yds...no difference in the outcome.

.54cal/28ga Flintlock Smoothbore

.62cal/20ga Flintlock Smoothore

[/url

Last edited:

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Some additional general points of view about smoothbores...if I was going to only buy one smoothbore for an unknown wide range of hunting possibilities that could include moose, etc, I'd go with the .62cal/20ga.

But if hunting is basically NC squirrels / rabbits / doves / turkey/ deer...I found no difference between 28ga & 20ga.
And IMO, most of it has to do with the relatively close range aspects of smoothbores in general.
Examples with both smoothbore gauges, all taken at typical 20-30yds...no difference in the outcome.

.54cal/28ga Flintlock Smoothbore

.62cal/20ga Flintlock Smoothore

[/url
Gorgeous guns.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer

Hope this helps

Buck
Do you know where one would be likely to find a used fowler?

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
I figured "Roundball" would show the way. He has visible proof of the pudding on results.

As to availability of smoothbores, the forum mentioned is well thought of for guns for sale. I sold a TVM .50 caliber Virginia rifle there. Also, "Track Of The Wolf'" has an online catalog and showcases used custom-made and TVM guns for sale. I buy all my shooting supplies from "Track".

Otherwise, I'd recommend looking up my friend, Matt Avance, owner of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, in Corinth MS to either order one or have him contact you when a cancelation comes around, saving you a year's wait.