Which release?

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Hey guys - It's been a few years since I've been out for archery season, but got the itch recently to get my old bow out and start shooting a little. Unfortunately I can't put my hands on my release, and need to pick up another one. Any recommendations for a decent wrist strap release that won't break the bank? Better yet, who's got one in the closet gathering dust, that they'd be willing to part with?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Better stock up on arrows before you start worrying about a release :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve got what you need, if I can find it(y)

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Better stock up on arrows before you start worrying about a release :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve got what you need, if I can find it(y)

Still haven’t given up on that comedy career I see. :ROFLMAO:

Can’t lose arrows if you can’t release em. Can’t stop losing them if you don’t practice!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My personal taste is scott little bity goose.

good suggestion. Scott makes a good release. I have one that I’ve had for at least 20 years. No longer made. It was one of the gooses. I’ve worn the rope out plenty of times. Replaced it with parachute cord a bunch of times. I like the ones with one moving jaw. Two jaws doesn’t seem like it would be as consistent.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
good suggestion. Scott makes a good release. I have one that I’ve had for at least 20 years. No longer made. It was one of the gooses. I’ve worn the rope out plenty of times. Replaced it with parachute cord a bunch of times. I like the ones with one moving jaw. Two jaws doesn’t seem like it would be as consistent.
I am of the same mindset on the release........someone who knows a lot more than I brought up the thought that with a single jaw release, having the operable jaw opening away from the face would be more consistent. With just a little bit of pressure on the face a dual caliper would not open evenly, and the opening would be more on the away from the face jaw.. So, if that is going to happen anyway, a single caliper will work just fine.

Back when I used to hunt while wearing a headnet (before Thermacell days) , opening away from the face might have the very slightest of a benefit.

I've been very satisfied with Scott releases. I've owned Trufires, Truballs, and Scotts, and Scotts have been the best of those for me.

hoyt85

Six Pointer
Scott's are good......I've shot a few over the years with no complaints. The Spot Hogg Wise Guy is another good release IMO.

For a finger release I'd suggest looking at Carter or Stan. I'm currently shooting a Carter Chocolate Lite 3 finger.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I prefer the releases that have a buckle vs Velcro or a boa line. You know it’s going to be the same length every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Scott the way to go. Still shoot the original goose little goose and little bitty goose Just don’t let the trigger pin get loose and fall out of tree stand No matter how hard you try to make it work it won’t without the trigger pin lesson learned. Carry 2 releases now

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
If in doubt about the cost of them, spend as little as possible, i am talking the $20 model, it will be a wise investment in archery equipment.

Go back 20 years on my first release
spent almost $20 on a release
feeling pumped and flinging arrows like a champ
coming to full draw, elbow raised, bow beginning to rise to the draw
that $20 release did everything that a $20 release should be expected to do
it let go in mid draw causing my trigger release hand to come towards me at an extreme rate of speed
i near broke my nose, both eyes watering, a slight trickle of blood from my nose
i learned 2 valuable lessons that day, dont cheap out on the equipment you use and dont tick me off because i know exactly how hard i can punch.... take heed

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Fletch archery use to make one called Fletchhunter...I have 2 of them and have flung many an arrow with them. Got one with the wrist strap and one with the rubber tube handle....like both. Don't know if it is made anymore...mine are like 40-45 years old. Son is using one of them now....won't cheap back then but one of the best.