Which Gamelands offer camping?

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I’ve been thinking about taking my boys to do a small game or dove overnight camping & hunting trip this fall.

Any advice on which game lands or national forests in NC would be best?

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Don't know what area you are focusing on but I know they have primitive camping in a couple of places on Butner/Falls around Raleigh and Holly Shelter in Pender County.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If you look in regs it'll list gamelands and if camping allowed as Well as when some are restricted but if your hunting it should be open. I don't know much about the eastern ones but around here it could be anything from a decent size fescue field a gravel parking lot or a small pull off type spot primitive sites. On state land you are restricted to designated areas that are marked on map. On ntnl forest have lot more options. Its fun way to spend out in say Oct Nov when weather is nice cool

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like you are from Eastern Nc based on your profile. As others have said, Croatan National Forest offers plenty of camping opportunities. You could also look at the Roanoke Wildlife Refuge. Would require a permit to draw for hunting, but some tracts have established campgrounds and you can camp within 100 yds of the river on any of them. It's pretty fun to canoe in and camp out for 3 or 4 days on the Roanoke.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
sandhills has them everywhere, complete with dove fields, Jordan as well.

spreading rumors there buddy,,,,camping is only allowed in designated areas on the Sandhills and there are only two designated areas - one west of HWY 1 and one east of Hwy 1

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
spreading rumors there buddy,,,,camping is only allowed in designated areas on the Sandhills and there are only two designated areas - one west of HWY 1 and one east of Hwy 1
Rambling around there Sunday i saw those so close together and made my statement.
there are private campgrounds in the area as well of course.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Also keep in mind if you wanna hunt more than one day some those gameland like Caswell are 3 day week hunting you can still camp any day but only hunt Mon wed sat

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
No apology needed. They are all around the lake but I heard that only 1 was hunter friendly...just trying to figure out which one.

Best bet is the little campground over in Moncure. That’s where we stay during deer season to hunt Jordan and Harris if we take down the camper. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head. All the State Park ones are no weapons and even without that their gate opening times don’t help out hunters.

jbcook

Spike
I applied for the permit last year for the first time. Do you apply for an individual or a party? I would like to bring someone with me but I cannot remember the specifics....