which 22 rifle

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
For some reason I have the "wants" for a 22 rifle. I have kind of narrowed it down to a Ruger 10/22 or the Marlin Model 60. I have read a lot of reviews with people really liking the Marlin better. I know the 10/22 has more options. Any opinions
appreciated.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I have the model 60. It is fun to shoot. I have shot other peoples 10/22's and want one just haven't ever bought one. There is so many aftermarket items for the 10/22. Model 60 is tube fed and holds s, l and lr. And is cheaper.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have both and have the M60 bone stock with irons and the 10/22 set up with a scope and bipod. Both are extremely reliable but I prefer the Ruger only for easy of loading with a dozen mags at the ready. Truly can't go wrong with either. The Marlin can be found for $150 and the Rutgers start at $199

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If you are considering the 10/22 take a long look at the new Thompson Center TCR and the brand new Winchester Wildcat. Both are really similar to the 10/22 with a few additional features.

If I were picking between the the Model 60 and the 10/22 I'd go with the 10/22 because you can build it into whatever suits your wants and needs with the hundreds if not thousands of aftermarket items available.

<>< Fish

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If you are not going to build it go with the 60. Most 60's will shoot better than a 10/22 stock. Sure you can add bull barrels to the 10/22 and upgrade stock trigger etc but I prefer marlins.

I have a papoose (takedown 60) that out shoots my sons 10/22 .

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Does anyone have the take down ruger 1022 ? Not sure what would be the purpose unless it was something you would want to be around in the truck with or something that you could keep tucked away.

Sigma40

Eight Pointer
Does anyone have the take down ruger 1022 ? Not sure what would be the purpose unless it was something you would want to be around in the truck with or something that you could keep tucked away.
I have the Takedown rifle and the Takedown Charger. The rifle is great for keeping in the vehicle. It comes with a back pack that you can put additional items in. My boys have the standard 10/22s. I like mine better just because I can break it down and stow it very easily. The accuracy of the Takedown is the same as that of the standards.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I like 22LR rifles. If your set on an semi-auto it's hard to find a better 22LR than a Ruger 10/22, for the cost and the quality of that gun it is a no brainer. Start with a standard basic 10/22 carbine to see if you like it. If later you want more performance, the sky is the limit as far as up grades. The plain Jane carbine will surprise you in the accuracy. However if you want a real tack driver, CZ bolt action 22LR rifles are were its at. If I were to buy another new 22LR my first choice would be the Thompson Center TCR-22 (10/22 clone upgraded?)semi-auto. Second choice would be Winchester Wildcat, should sale for less than $200.00

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I have both and much prefer the model 60.

sent from...... Tapatalk
Well if you can believe everything you read online, I have found far more better reviews as far as accuracy and dependability for the Model 60. They both feel good.

Last edited:

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I have one and I can put 10 shots completely under a dime (1/2") at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity or Federal Gold Medal Match. Granted it has a Volquartsen Barrel, VQ Trigger, (Now a Kidd trigger) and aNightforce 5-20x56 on it... Oh and thats using a Silencerco Spectre II suppressor so it makes virtualyl zero noise.
To the OP. I think the Ruger 10/22 is an absolute no brainer in terms of reliability availability and aftermarket parts/upgrades.

Bolt gun wise its hard to Beat a CZ 455 or 457...
Tikka T1x just came out and I have been having a lot of fun shooting that one too...
Last but not least the Volquartsen Summit straight pull bolt action gun is super fun and shoots faster than any standard bolt gun. It is weird at first but after shooting all of them for a while I have grown to prefer that straight pull for the .22.