Where you heading this deer season?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where are you guys chasing deer this year?

Currently I’m set to hunt
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Virginia

Possibly going to try a trip to Texas to hunt with some old friends. That one could be up in the air, as extra time and $$$ may become scarce with a wedding coming up in September and a new baby due to make its appearance in January 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Besides exploring new places up here in the mountains and my same haunts around Raleigh, I’ll be grabbing a SC license so I can get some hunts in with family and then to Nebraska again with a group of guys from work for rifle season. Outside of possibly Arizona for OTC archery come late December or early January, that’s it for deer. Going to try and get a leftover 1st season rifle elk tag in Colorado in two weeks since I got the go ahead from there the wife for an anniversary trip out there. We’ll see if I can or not. Going to be a busy year either way.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
North to chase turkeys that'll be extent of my deer season except for time or two I'll hit local mtn public land just to get out

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Lord willing NC and VA as usual

Ps Wait what has happened to me...dang turkeys! I just realized my list of Turkey haunts is getting longer while deer isn’t

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Ohio public toward the end of October, Illinois private sometime in December after the rut and the yahoos leave.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Besides exploring new places up here in the mountains and my same haunts around Raleigh, I’ll be grabbing a SC license so I can get some hunts in with family and then to Nebraska again with a group of guys from work for rifle season. Outside of possibly Arizona for OTC archery come late December or early January, that’s it for deer. Going to try and get a leftover 1st season rifle elk tag in Colorado in two weeks since I got the go ahead from there the wife for an anniversary trip out there. We’ll see if I can or not. Going to be a busy year either way.

Nebraska is a state that a couple buddies and I have tossed around a bit. I need to look into it a little deeper.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Nebraska is a state that a couple buddies and I have tossed around a bit. I need to look into it a little deeper.

Went two years ago with buddy from work and my dad and grandpa as I planned the trip and was going even if no one else wanted to. Opening morning I shot a 129" gross whitetail and then my buddy shot a 170"+ mule deer basically right where I was as he was coming to help me (it fell 20 yards below me after it let him get a second shot off that I watched him take). Had another big whitetail run by me the next morning in the same spot. Now both of those were above average for public land bucks per my conversations with the biologist and game warden for the area but I saw 2-3 more what I would consider shooter bucks for myself on public out there. People will try to tell you the pressure is crazy but it wasn't bad IMO, especially compared to what I've seen at Alcoa (I don't know why I run into more pressure there than around Raleigh but I do for some reason). Get a .5 mile away from a road and you about got it to yourself, further than that along with anything making it "tough" to get back there and its a damn near possibility you'll have it to yourself. I never could quite figure out the mule deer bucks but I feel confident targeting whitetails out there, especially on the one refuge we hunted in that unit. OTC tags except for a few firearm units down in SW corner, just buy your unit specific rifle tag before they sell out as it is done by quota. Muzzleloader and archery tags are good for the whole state during their respective seasons and no quota on them. That one trip got me hooked on the state, can't wait to get back out there in November!

Last edited:

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't get too excited for deer anymore , I do love early season bow hunts when deer are still in the summer patterns , I'll stay close to the house and shoot a doe or two and maybe a buck if I see a good one but I just let them pass anymore , I'm good with one fresh doe a year

I will be hitting the woods for squirrels as well as fall turkey season more than deer

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
North Carolina and Alaska.

May try to head out to Arizona in January but its going to take some real good sweet talkin to the wife to get that to happen.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
KY for week and a half in November and maybe again in January. We had a really good late season hunt there last season. Ate my buck tag last year need redemption!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Mostly eastern NC. Have to go to the mountains at the end of Sept for a wedding and will try to squeeze in some hunting there. Hopefully we’ll be able to go back to WV at Christmas or Thanksgiving and hunt there as well.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Chatham will work for me like always. Too poor to go traipsing all over the US

Reactions: jug

Dhumpy

Four Pointer
Little bit of Chatham County and Randolph. Probably bow hunt some game land this year so I can stay off the private for a while. Possibly headed to WVA in October.