Where would you set up?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I have access to a 115 acre piece of semi public land ( owned by land trust, got access thru lottery system). I have never been on the property but plan on going out tomorrow morning to scout the first part of the day and hunt the property as much as possible the next two weeks. You can only access this land by canoe but it is bordering one of the Alcoa gamelands. There are ag fields to the south but I am not sure what is planted there. Assuming that field is something the deer would feed on, how would you hunt this land with a west wind?

Gamelands are to the left of the white dashed line. The parcel I have access to is the triangle shaped section in the white dot outline. the blue line is a river the borders the east side of the property.

current plan is go dock the canoe at the white arrow and walk the border of the ag fields to see what is growing there...if I can see a trail too and from those fields will try to set up on an access trail. If no trails or sign I may work my way back into the swamp on the west side of the property that borders the game lands.

how would you hunt this spot? The Point.jpg

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
"current plan is go dock the canoe at the white arrow and walk the border of the ag fields to see what is growing there...if I can see a trail too and from those fields will try to set up on an access trail. If no trails or sign I may work my way back into the swamp on the west side of the property that borders the game lands. "

I think that's a solid plan and is what i would do.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I’ll be on the Alcoa side of that swamp next week one afternoon if it’s the one I’m thinking it is. I think your plan is a good one.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Is that two stands that I circled in yellow? Also, in red looks to be a garage/shed/building. If stands, probably a good sign that deer working that corner of the fields. If buildings, you may want to stay away from those points, doubt many deer are using the fields if ppl are hanging out or working there all the time. Overall, I like the plan, put some boots on the ground and send us a kill pic.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With a west wind, your least obtrusive plan is going to be to hunt along the river, with your scent blowing across the river. Corners are always a good spot as are the areas with stacked topo lines, as they will either work along the river or up on top of the ridge.

If you only have one shot at it, and don't care what happens next week, then go in there and hunt the hottest sign leading to the best food source. The far western point, and the spot in the middle where that block of timber juts up between the two fields both look like wide funnels that could be areas of travel also.

I don't usually pick my final location from a map. I'll pick several different interesting looking spots and then check them on the ground. Some will turn out to be duds for one reason or another, and others will prove to be good stand sites. Pick 5 or 6 spots and go check them out.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I look at that and cringe. I know that I wouldn't put that much effort in a deer.
Go getem Dolffan21. that swamp has to be a starting spot for some deer.
I hope your efforts are rewarded.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Those little "oxbows" of the creek system (or are they roads?) look gamey as can be to me and not too far of a jaunt from your canoe docking spot. Whichever they are, you've got edge close to edge close to edge and agriculture south of it.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just looking at the map I like something simple. Beach your canoe as planned, walk quietly along the dotted border and set up 30 yards east of that first field corner and about the same distance north of the line. Deer will be traveling around that field corner in daylight to avoid exposure in the field. Certainly a guess but that is where I would be looking first. I also like the very small openings on into the parcel. Edges have been the key to many of my successful hunts and I think that might work for you.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Okay fellas, I hunted it 2 days this week and this is what I found.

1- There is a swamp bordering the river with a TON of tracks ....both hog and deer. all this really means is the drag out is going to be miserable.....a deer cart may be in order.
2- Pimpscoe, that is a bind in the middle of the field but the other surrounding building seem to be open faced storage sheds of some sort.
3- There is a mineral deposit onsite that seems to be hit up pretty hard. it is in the small open clearing in a transition from hardwoods to pines.

The first day I mostly scouted and hunted down by the river above the swamp. I bumped a few does and fawns walking in but didnt see any deer in the stand....but thats okay, i didnt expect much with all that walking around I was doing.
I went back the yesterday morning and hunted what I thought was a good trail from the field to the mineral site and saw alot more action the second day. the only two deer that were in range however was a doe with a fawn but that was probably about 45 yards out. Shortly after a small 6 pointer came thru...he was walking right into my shooting lane but broke right towards my stand at about 10 yards.........he was off to my left and since I am left handed I couldnt get a good shot off......he eventually saw or smelled something he didnt like and bolted......didnt see much for another 2 hours and called it a morning. I will be back tomorrow and 2 more days next week. We'll see what happens. I did learn one big lesson...never forget your bow rope......trying to climb a tree stand holding a bow is neither safe nor graceful.

You might even run into some hogs if it's the Alcoa area. Supposedly they hit that area hard by the Yadkin.

hogs tore up the swamp next to the river....first time I have seen any hog sign but never really hunted this area ( execpt for Linwood down the river a bit)

I would go talk with Mr. Young and see if I could drive in. :)

I dont know him but I assumed that the conservancy would have asked about that when they gained access to the land and was denied, that is why it was river only.........but I guess you know what they say about assumptions.

I look at that and cringe. I know that I wouldn't put that much effort in a deer.
Go getem Dolffan21. that swamp has to be a starting spot for some deer.
I hope your efforts are rewarded.

yeah, their were trails all over, going back again tomorrow and I think I am going to try to set up over the swamp but try the morning instead of the evening this time......canoeing home in the dark isnt a ton of fun, constantly praying my headlamp wont die......lol.

berryman26

Six Pointer
hogs tore up the swamp next to the river....first time I have seen any hog sign but never really hunted this area ( execpt for Linwood down the river a bit) .[/QUOTE said:
Nice, let us know how it goes.