Where have all the Deer gone?

nontypical

Ten Pointer
So this is my first full deer season in West Lincoln county. I have 11 acres bordering Indian Creek with a phenomenal amount of game. The only thing that is missing is Black Bear. Unfortunately, about 2 days before muzzle loader season; all and I do mean ALL the whitetail deer have vanished.

They have disappeared form my trail cams, stopped eating from my feeders, mineral licks and molasses licks. I had clocked 11 different bucks on my cams including a beautiful 6 (with no brow tines) a 7 and an 8. Shooting around the property has been surprisingly light as well.

Interestingly enough the several flocks of turkeys that were grazing in my yard have moved a bit deeper into the timber up stream.

Anyone have any ideas why this might have happened? If you are local to the area; have you seen this before?
Just you walking in and out of there puts pressure on them. Putting out corn, checking cameras, etc. They'll come back!

I used to hunt a small 18 ac long skinny tract. The deer come and go.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Just you walking in and out of there puts pressure on them. Putting out corn, checking cameras, etc. They'll come back!

I used to hunt a small 18 ac long skinny tract. The deer come and go.
Cell cams and a automatic feeder keep that intrusion to a minimum

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nontypical

Ten Pointer
This was before I had a cell cam. The bears would have tore up an automatic feeder, unless it was built like a tank :)

Your right though. The least amount of pressure you can put on a small tract the better IMO.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Hit a nerve, huh? I believe he explained what he meant if you read the second half of his sentence. You ought to know what culture he's talking about and it's not farmers and "working class white people".
What's wrong with muddin and shooting beer bottles?

timber

Twelve Pointer
:party: you asked for it,,,,,
I heard you would be a redneck if:
  • You need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos.
  • You need an estimate from your barber before you get a haircut.
  • The biggest fashion risk you take is which plaid you'll wear to the 4-H Fair.
  • You have flowers planted in a bathroom appliance in your front yard.
  • Your wife (or husband) weighs more then your refrigerator.
  • You move your refrigerator and the grass underneath it has turned yellow.
  • You mow your lawn and find a car.
  • You can spit without opening your mouth.
  • Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night involves putting on shoes and a jacket and grabbing a flashlight.
  • You go Christmas shopping for your mom, sister, and girlfriend, and you only need to buy one gift.
  • Taking a dip has nothing to do with water.
  • There are more than ten lawsuits currently pending against your dog.
  • You take a fishing pole to Sea World.
  • The hood and one door are a different color from the rest of your car.
  • You've ever filled your deer tag on the golf course.
  • You've ever shot somebody over a mall parking space.
  • Santa Claus refuses to let your kids sit in his lap.
  • Your toilet paper has page numbers on it.
  • You think mud rasslin' should be an Olympic sport.
  • The receptionist checks the rat traps at your place of business.
  • More than one living relative is named after a Southern Civil War general.
  • You think the stock market has a fence around it.
  • You think the O.J. trial was the big Sunkist and Minutemaid taste test.
  • You've ever lost a loved one to kudzu.
  • Your boat has not left the driveway in 15 years.
  • Your front porch collapses and kills more than three dogs.
  • Your coffee table used to be a telephone cable spool.
  • You keep a can of Raid on the kitchen table.
  • You've ever used a toilet seat as a picture frame.
  • Your home has more miles on it than your car.
  • Your Christmas tree is still up in February.
  • You've ever been arrested for loitering.
  • You think that potted meat on a saltine is an hors d'ouvre.
  • There is a stuffed possum anywhere in your house.
  • You hammer bottle caps into the frame of your front door to make it look nice.
  • You've ever shot anyone for looking at you.
  • You own a homemade fur coat.
  • Your wife can climb a tree faster than your cat.
  • Your momma has "ammo" on her Christmas list.
  • You've totaled every car you've ever owned.

Well guess i fit in that group. Growing up on the farm potted meat or georgia hash or pickeled pig feet and a occasional can of sardines were main lunch special at the country store for lunch. Usualy had crackers or a pack of lance nabs as the side dish. Desert was usually a honey bun or oatmeal cake

Rexm0311

Spike
I have seen far less deer this year. I hunt on gameland and on a couple of small tracts that I bait. It's gotten better lately as it seems the deer have come back

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Define Redneck culture! Perhaps you are referring to a working class white person from a rural area? Or do you mean Farmers? Please expound.
Presumably, tearing the WMA's with ATV's and a ton of target shooting on public lands, which are apparently illegal from his post in WV but not enforced, is what he means.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Cant speak for most of WV because havent been accross the state. But looked at several tracts of land and timber west of Bluefield and was some rough areas in that part. I dont think the law bothered some of them to much. Some of the guys had cruising timber were real careful in some places they went. Last thing they wanted was walk up on sombody tending their cash crop

Reactions: RJ1

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been waiting all year to hear there are no deer in NC or we need stricter Regulations... unforeseen Lucky clucked let me down

But some of you others are picking up the slack😂😂

Ps In all seriousness, some land can become a deer desert during season. However it doesn’t mean the population is suffering... just poor quality land or factors

86madmike59

Button Buck
So this is my first full deer season in West Lincoln county. I have 11 acres bordering Indian Creek with a phenomenal amount of game. The only thing that is missing is Black Bear. Unfortunately, about 2 days before muzzle loader season; all and I do mean ALL the whitetail deer have vanished.

They have disappeared form my trail cams, stopped eating from my feeders, mineral licks and molasses licks. I had clocked 11 different bucks on my cams including a beautiful 6 (with no brow tines) a 7 and an 8. Shooting around the property has been surprisingly light as well.

Interestingly enough the several flocks of turkeys that were grazing in my yard have moved a bit deeper into the timber up stream.

Anyone have any ideas why this might have happened? If you are local to the area; have you seen this before?
There was a lot of activity where I hunt also Lincoln County but not near Indian Creek. They seem to have moved out prior tp ML season. I was thinking neighbors pressuring the deer out of the area.

Rexm0311

Spike
I’ve been waiting all year to hear there are no deer in NC or we need stricter Regulations... unforeseen Lucky clucked let me down

But some of you others are picking up the slack😂😂

Ps In all seriousness, some land can become a deer desert during season. However it doesn’t mean the population is suffering... just poor quality land or factors
Agreed. Some years just ain't your year.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Define Redneck culture! Perhaps you are referring to a working class white person from a rural area? Or do you mean Farmers? Please expound.

I’m referring to the outlaw redneck culture

I should have used the term “white trash” , it’s the people in the hollows with 5 acres of actual trash surrounding their house and mountains of beer cans in their yard their favorite activity is usually tearing up local public land with atvs and throwing beer cans everywhere.

There are several houses like described bordering a local WMA I hunt. I’m being conservative with the description of some of these houses, you see some crazy stuff in this state

I should have used the term “white trash” , it’s the people in the hollows with 5 acres of actual trash surrounding their house and mountains of beer cans in their yard their favorite activity is usually tearing up local public land with atvs and throwing beer cans everywhere.

There are several houses like described bordering a local WMA I hunt. I’m being conservative with the description of some of these houses, you see some crazy stuff in this state
Which state is that? The state of ignorance? Have some respect and please be careful with the labels you throw around. Some of us have family, that we love dearly, that by choice or circumstance live that way. What hurts the most are the ones who choose to live that way, and when you try and try and give and give help and its rejected; it hurts. What then? Do we write them off as you say "white trash"? Or do we continue to love them anyway? Love is the only way to change their hearts and minds.

[/QUO
Yup I have seen some white trash and meth heads in my neck of the woods as well. But I hunt private land so at least they dont come on our lease. Call the game warden and see if they can increase patrols. Take pics of the evidence on the wma. I hate it for ya. Best of luck.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Which state is that? The state of ignorance? Have some respect and please be careful with the labels you throw around. Some of us have family, that we love dearly, that by choice or circumstance live that way. What hurts the most are the ones who choose to live that way, and when you try and try and give and give help and its rejected; it hurts. What then? Do we write them off as you say "white trash"? Or do we continue to love them anyway? Love is the only way to change their hearts and minds.

I think you are misunderstanding my post I’m not labeling someone for being poor, heck I’m poor

Just because someone is poor doesn’t mean they have to be lazy and throw trash in their yard or over the hill into the creek

Yes I do label people who do drugs and litter as well as ride atvs where they know they aren’t supposed to

Next time you have a trespasser show some love to them, or if someone breaks into your house or car, show some love don’t label ....really??

I think you are misunderstanding my post I’m not labeling someone for being poor, heck I’m poor

Just because someone is poor doesn’t mean they have to be lazy and throw trash in their yard or over the hill into the creek

Yes I do label people who do drugs and litter as well as ride atvs where they know they aren’t supposed to

Next time you have a trespasser show some love to them, or if someone breaks into your house or car, show some love don’t label ....really??
Calling someone a thief or trespasser for being just that; is one thing and quite justified. Calling someone "White Trash" because of the condition of their property is completely different. Maybe they are not lazy but just feel so defeated by their circumstances that they wonder; why bother since nothing will ever get better. Maybe their moma and daddy didn't teach them any better like yours and mine did. Point is, you and I will never know unless we show some love, compassion and mercy towards them and lend a hand.

I think we have beat this around enough. I suggest that we get back to our hunting and bag us some huge whitetails. Good luck neighbor.