Where for Turkey/fish Combo?

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Was hoping to hit up a gameland wed morning for some turkey hunting, and then afternoon fishing with a buddy from work...Any decent hunting on Mitchell River gameland, with any fishing(trout or smallmouth) near by? are if you have another recommendation, lets hear it...hoping for less that 2 hours from winston/forsyth Co.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I can't help you with the turkey hunting but for trout check out Stone Mtn State Park. Pretty good trout fishing can be found there and it is less than 2 hours away.

<>< Fish

Southside

Ten Pointer
Zombie, head west toward Ashe or Watauga Counties. You'll need to check the maps but there is gamelands and trout fishing there and its within your 2hr range. Hwy 421 should get you there.

Last edited:

woody_zr2

Little late now, but for next trip....The Mitchell River is full of stocked trout right now, but it's Delayed Harvest water so don't plan on supper for the evening. I can't tell you anything about the Game Land.

If you want to keep a few fish, then head to Long Bottom Rd. There are a few Hatchery Supported streams down through there, and up 18 towards Sparta. There is a camping area located on the Middle Fork of the Roaring River...expect some horse riders. From there, you can access Thurmond-Chatham Game Land. Be prepared for some hills, but I've seen several birds in that area while fishing and camping.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Not sure how the turkey hunting is but there is Game Land in Tillery and in Darlington of Halifax County for the hunt. Then hit the Roanoke River for an afternoon of Rock Fish.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the info

Going to Mitchell River tomorrow morning...i see turkeys have been killed there before going by the harvest data, so maybe we will get lucky. Also, for the trout fishing... i see its delayed harvest, so that means catch and release only, and single hooks...anything else i need to know about delayed harvest fishing?

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
3 birds gobbling this morning, but none interested. ..two trout so far, and now at Brown's restaurant in Sparta.

Sent From Ink's House

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Ended up catching about 10 trout, best being 13" long. :) A guy with a fly rod fishing near us caught several also.

Also, scouted out 2 good looking places for deer hunting on the gameland. :)