Where do you buy chufa seed locally?

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I haven't hunted turkey before, but the big tom dropping down from a tree while I was deer hunting got me thinking. I have an area that is about about 1/4 acre of sandy soil with some big pines in and around it. Thought it might be a good place to plant some chufa and see what happens. Where would I look locally - Sanford, Fayetteville, Garner, Raleigh, etc - to find it?

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I haven't hunted turkey before, but the big tom dropping down from a tree while I was deer hunting got me thinking. I have an area that is about about 1/4 acre of sandy soil with some big pines in and around it. Thought it might be a good place to plant some chufa and see what happens. Where would I look locally - Sanford, Fayetteville, Garner, Raleigh, etc - to find it?
I couldn’t find it locally. I buy from Hancock Seed. They typically ship for free, and their price is the lowest I have found.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Clifton Seed Co. near Fasion has it I believe. I bought some chicory from them last year and they carry all popular food plot seed. Coors Supply in Smithfield has it but when I bought from them it was old seed and would not germinate....got my money back and went to Clifton Seed. Had a better price too. Number 919 267 2690. Google it and get the info.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

plant in May,, soil needs to get warmed up,,,

any earlier and folks get suspicious!! kind of like planting a dove field in late August!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That soil sounds fairly acidic. Make sure that is what Chufa likes and if not, it needs amended.