When to move a youth from 20ga to 12ga

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
After teaching / coaching youth for years with firearms I would say each kid is different and I let them decide when the time is right. My son was7 when he killed a deer with a 16 ga single, 10 yo when he shot my Ithaca 10 gauge and wanted one real bad right then. He has always been a big kid but watching and listening to the kid tells you when they are ready. Btw he got that a browning bps 10ga when he was 15...
Like @lasttombstone said a bad xperince will ruin them for quite some time. @hawkman contact me via pm I may have a solution for u if we can work out logistics.

I certainly agree that each kid is different, but after watching my kids put shot after shot on target with clean ethical kills by the dozens, I'm convinced I've handled them appropriately. I can't say that for other kids I've been around.

I wouldn't rush him. Let him practice with #8 target loads and see how he does. He will let you know when and if he wants to use a 12 guage. I shot a couple boxes of shells on some clay pigeons a couple weeks ago. The bruise on my shoulder just went away. I would recommend a semi auto over a pump. A little easier on the shoulder.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Wow, guys. Thanks for all your feedback! I haven't had time to digest it all yet, so hopefully, I can tomorrow. I took him back out with the single-shot to practice and he did great. I'll stick to that for now.

I will say: A) I'm surprised how many of you said you personally stick to 20-ga for everything and B) I need to read up on TSS shot and the benefits.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Also look at 28 gauges and 16 gauges.

With advances in ammunition, you don't necessarily need to have a 12 gauge.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I certainly agree that each kid is different, but after watching my kids put shot after shot on target with clean ethical kills by the dozens, I'm convinced I've handled them appropriately. I can't say that for other kids I've been around.
Sorry if that came off like I was disparaging what you did with your kid it was actually the opposite... I think that letting your kid tell you when they want to change guns is the way to go for sure and for some they don’t need to. I have instructed / shot with a lot of adults that could have used that lesson less is sometimes more especially with recoil.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I'm surprised how many of you said you personally stick to 20-ga for everything and B) I need to read up on TSS shot and the benefits.

bigger is often NOT better

better accuracy with lighter/smaller ammo is just as deadly

I've proven that to friends on Idaho mule deer that fell as if lightning struck, when a 45 gr from a 218 Bee or 222 Rem hit them in the neck or ear.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
But many other states and provinces have minimum caliber requirements.

So that is something to think about if you plan to hunt outside NC.

If you don't plan to hunt outside NC, it does not matter.

Anything 10 gauge and smaller is legal for everything open to hunting.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I end up borrowing an 870 20ga youth and let him try that out on some targets. He seemed more comfortable with the single-shot so that's what we're going with for now.

I handed him my Supermag after I put a Sureshot stock on it Friday and he thought it was huge and heavy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

double

Twelve Pointer
For me the move happened around 30. I realized i could kill everything on this earth with a 20 gauge or below and now only need a 12 ga for spirting clays. I still use one lots of times bit I use a 20 a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk