When to first bring kids hunting

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My ten year old can spot tracks and sign faster than most hunters I know, but he doesn't like sitting in the woods. I'll probably introduce my soon-to-be 5 year old this fall. It all depends on their want-to.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
To put my 2 cents in. They are all different, games, no games, distractions, no distractions. I say they are either born a hunter or not. I have three kids, all started in the woods at age 3. Oldest, a girl, was clearly a hunter at age 3, and since (now 15). Second, a girl, is "kind of" into it, but has killed several deer with a xbow (she likes and appreciates the awards more than the kill, summer sausage, snack sticks, etc...). Youngest, a boy, never really got into it like the girls did at a young age, but now he is 10, and I now see the growing interest. Expose them to it, show your interest, and if they like it, they like it.....It isn't for everyone, but they can still appreciate it if it is part of their life.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
My oldest started later just because where we were stationed at the time. Youngest started at 5 yo in a pop up blind and grandson at 4 yo in the backyard with squirrels behind the workshop. Can't wait to take my grandson deer hunting on during the youth hunt this year. Just built him his own AR15 few months ago. I'll be returning home from Afghanistan next week to start my scouting.

CD

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I was with my dad whatever he was doing as soon as I was mobile. I don't have children myself, but my friends have done the same. We even have taken one of my friends daughter coon hunting when see was 1.5 years old and she was running the deer hounds with us at 2. I don't think it is ever too early, of course you have to take the weather and other environmental conditions into consideration. That and be ready to leave or change course in a matter of minutes.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Mine is 10 she cares nothing about it. Ive tried several times. Although when it comes to cleaning one she'll get elbow deep in it if I let her.

skimmer

Six Pointer
Mine is 3 1/2 now and will be close to 4 this season. He has been going to run dogs with me since he was 2. Last yr when he was 3 he went alot more than the previous yr and he had alot of fun. A couple times a week now he will tell me it's not deer season but we can still ride to the hunting club. Think I will give it a few more yrs before I take him still hunting though