When to first bring kids hunting

Teamclark

Spike
My daughter is 4 this year and I know the time is coming soon that I can take her out hunting with me. How early did you start bringing your kids out hunting and what tips do you have?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Hunt based on the kids activity level, when they want to leave, its pretty much time to leave
Scouting and prep for hunting season is where the fun is, thats when they learn, and the passion is born.
Hand held games and snacks are key to killing time in the stand, plus a spot where they can curl up and have a nap. I remember years ago goose hunting and once set up and waiting for morning flight my son would curl up under the big decoy and sleep and be woke up with us calling

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I took my three year old deer hunting with me a few times this past season. He took his nerf gun, I was empty handed. We hunted about 30 minutes each time.

Teamclark

Spike
Those are great ideas that I never would have thought of. I can get her out scouting still this summer and then let her be the hunter a sit or two later this fall. Just gotta keep my expectations in check on how productive it’ll be. Gotta keep the goal in mind that it is getting her out hunting rather than bringing home meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Those are great ideas that I never would have thought of. I can get her out scouting still this summer and then let her be the hunter a sit or two later this fall. Just gotta keep my expectations in check on how productive it’ll be. Gotta keep the goal in mind that it is getting her out hunting rather than bringing home meat.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer in front of my son. We raise quails, so he's been exposed to the whole circle of life/ where our food comes from type of thing. We talk about why we shoot deer. I don't doubt at all that he can deal with it. If I had any reservations, id hold off. That being said, when he wants to hunt, we do it his way. I don't anticipate actually having the opportunity to kill a deer while he's with me for another 3-4 years.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Started taking my son when he was 4. Had better luck with him in morning hunts because he would sleep the first hour/ hour and a half when we got in the blind then he'd be on the tablet for some time. Could get 2-3 hours with him in the morning, usually only about an hour to an hour and a half for evening hunts.

lbksmom

Banned
My granddaughter at 5 came out in ground blind a couple times, she new the anatomy of a deer prior by her watching me gut them out and showing her the parts. By 6 bb gun was ok but Aug. practiced with a 22 rifle she was Annie Oakley. Had a youth 243 and in Dec. brought both to ground blind, she shot a squirrel ,then 4 doe came in she dropped one. Got a crossbow they all love that, even turkey she dropped a gobbler at 42 yds. It depends on their interest at what age to start. Get them a back pack for their drinks, favorite quiet snack, tiny binoculars, color book etc. Dress accordingly, more is better to carry in than not enough and they get cold. Have fun and create memories for ever.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
My almost 6 year old has been in the woods since she was 2. It began by accompanying me to scout, freshen corn piles, and squirrel hunt. At 2.5 she went on her 1st dove hunt with me and had a blast just playing in the dirt, eating Doritos (our outdoor tradition), and “petting the birds”.

Stepped up to a deer hunt with toy dart gun the following year and she had accompanied me each year since then for Opener dove and January swan hunts.

This year I think she is finally ready to accompany me on a few “real “ deer hunts BUT boy I about broke the bank buying her warm camo clothes.. they cost as much as mine!

Ps most importantly, regardless when you start em... make sure they have fun and leave with them wanting more. Each kid is different so let their response be the guide

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Add on to the above.. my youngest daughter (now 3) is scared of the woods and even fish BUT is slowly making progress.

Point being I don’t push her.. just encourage her.

All are different.

3 weeks ago she finally asked to touch a fish and did so... she is coming around slowly.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you all covered it for the OP,,,,it all "depends" but it starts with just "woods wandering" with me,,,,take them outdoors,,,,they will let you know when it is time,,,

the first "hunt" my youngest grandson and I took was for "monkeys" of all things,,,,,he's got a good eye as I think he shot 51 with his toy gun and I never saw the first one!!

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Keep it fun and don't force them to do it and they will always want to do it. My youngest will get his first chance to go hunting this year. He is 4.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
you all covered it for the OP,,,,it all "depends" but it starts with just "woods wandering" with me,,,,take them outdoors,,,,they will let you know when it is time,,,

the first "hunt" my youngest grandson and I took was for "monkeys" of all things,,,,,he's got a good eye as I think he shot 51 with his toy gun and I never saw the first one!!
My son didn't want to go hunting one time it turns out he was scared because he heard me talk about the bears. I gave him a wii shotgun controller and all was good. lol

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are plenty of things that you can do with them outdoors that don't involve sitting for hours. Take them for a walk through the woods squirrel hunting or a 30-minute trip to the pond fishing or whatever is age-appropriate. IMO, the modern hunting dad takes kids on outings that are not age-appropriate and then either pressures them to act like an adult or pacifies them with loads of snacks and toys, or simply quits as soon as the kid loses interest.

The more you water down the experience the less it means. There are many more ways to take a young kid in the woods or water that don't involve sitting for hours AND don't ruin your own hunts (or the hunts of their older siblings). It's noble to end your hunt after 30 minutes, I'll give you that, but it's not necessary - and I would argue counter-productive . It is my opinion that short-cutting the process will result in less interest at an older age.

Here's my tip: Take the child when they can participate in the sport without major concessions. So take them in the deer stand when they can sit still in a stand/blind and have the attention span to stay for at least a couple hours. When they will actually be looking for game and not distracted by toys. That may be a different age for each child. You decide when they are ready.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer in front of my son. We raise quails, so he's been exposed to the whole circle of life/ where our food comes from type of thing. We talk about why we shoot deer. I don't doubt at all that he can deal with it. If I had any reservations, id hold off. That being said, when he wants to hunt, we do it his way. I don't anticipate actually having the opportunity to kill a deer while he's with me for another 3-4 years.

I think you misunderstood Teamclark. I don't think it was about a kid being squeamish about a deer being killed. I think it was about setting a goal where a kid doesn't think the day was unsuccessful if a deer isn't killed. There are already too many adults who think it's all about the kill, not the experience.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Waited till 8 or so with my girls, this is purely because they showed no interest until we moved to NC and I started actually seeing deer. They’ve always gone with me in the preseason but at 8 they started sitting with me and I always leave it up to them when the hunts over, there have been a few times I was so cold that I was thankful they called it lol.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Just have them walk and make it fun!! BB GUNS are a must!! :) Shooting tin cans, making them very aware of the firearms. Mine rode in back packs and walked in every mud hole I could find. Watched ever hunting video I could find, They helped me skin everything I brought home. Helped cook and then eat it. NOW, I can't keep them out of my favorite spots. :) Biggest things is its not about the kill but about the time away from it all. LIstening to the world wake up or go to bed. Enjoying your time together and making memories.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve been carrying my daughter to the woods since she was 2 months old. She’s grown up with it, and it’s simply second nature to her. I never ask if she wants to go, I never have to, she’s always ready to go. She’s always asking” When are we going hunting Daddy?”

I agree with the ones who say base the hunts around the child. If they get tired or bored, cut the hunt short.

I do not see the need to bring games and such. My daughter is more interested in keeping track of how many birds, squirrels, or other critters she sees if no deer are moving. Last year it was a big thing to try to see a deer before Daddy. She was successful on a few occasions.

She is still not the greatest at sitting still or whispering, she’s 4 and still very excitable, but she’s able to be still enough and quiet enough for us to be successful in harvesting deer. She was along on her first successful harvest at a little over 2 months old.

She also likes squirrel hunting because we generally see more squirrels and get to shoot more often.

She will be 5 this August and this will be her first year being the “trigger girl” for squirrels. She’s ecstatic!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Dad had me bring QUIET toys like coloring books, starting at age 4.
He would set up a quick brush blind and taught me to turn the pages slow and quiet.
I would carry my BB gun for chipmunks and squirrels from then until 6 then started with a .22.
Started shooting against other kids competitively at age 8.
Also shot the NRAs Marksmanship Program.
They have MORE programs now, even for adults, so you could shoot together, earning the awards.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
My son started sitting in a tree next to me at 4 yrs old my girl age 9 , Now they both can’t live with out it we stay in the woods or on the river nothing like it

Teamclark

Spike
My son started sitting in a tree next to me at 4 yrs old my girl age 9 , Now they both can’t live with out it we stay in the woods or on the river nothing like it

Did you have a two man ladder stand?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took my three year old deer hunting with me a few times this past season. He took his nerf gun, I was empty handed. We hunted about 30 minutes each time.
Come on....... the 30 minutes was your attention span not your kids!

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Took my daughter for the first time when she was 5. She did great took snacks and coloring books actually saw a few deer. I took my son for the first time when he was 2.5 it didn't last long but he's 4 now and has been about 4 times. Each time he does a little better. Just go and have fun don't try to get it to serious.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Here’s the next wrinkle, anybody ever tried taking a young kid out on public land or just private land?

done both,,,no real difference to me,,,all depends on the lay of the land on the particular tract (wheher public OR private)

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Here’s the next wrinkle, anybody ever tried taking a young kid out on public land or just private land?

Ive taken my oldest son hunting on both public and private. Hes 6 and has hunted with me for a few years sitting in the stand but killed his first deer this last season. We primarily hunt deer on private but mainly hunt Turkey on public. I prefer to take him on public during youth weekends as there normally isnt as many people around. However, hes sat with me on public a few time during normal season. Obviously if I see someone acting reckless or otherwise unsafe than we wouldn't stay but otherwise I dont see any reason not to take a kid hunting on public land.

At this age, I'm more concerned about when I take him as my goal is more on him enjoying the experience than on so many days in the field. I dont take him if its too hot, too cold, raining hard, etc. I've had friends that force their kids to go hunting on miserable weather days only for them to decide they dont like it and never took it up as a hobby.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I take my granddaughters to my condo out back and the ground blinds. Like stated, have something for them to do while waiting. We know how long some waits are, so double or triple that wait time for kids. Also water or drinks to chase down the snacks.

My last hunt with one of them, we watched a small deer come in to the corn pile. She says.. shoot him, No its to little. Then another one came in, shot it, NO to little, how about that one there. Where, I did not see that one. Ok girl, bam, you would have thought she had shot that deer.

All my grandkids come out and help me skin the deer or what ever game I have. They know how to get to all my stands thru the woods and help put out corn and such.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Did you have a two man ladder stand?

Yes had two man and a couple treated lumber built stands , and sometimes he sat beside me in the tree in my API while I was in a Loc on , sounds dangerous but it wasn’t

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Mine killed killed turkey on public on 3rd year going at 9 unfortunately just never took to hunting. Will go just to hang out took deer squirrel and turkey hunting on public never had issues with people. Even though kid doesn't like hunting does like shooting crossbow and 22 and going fishing