When do you plant your fall plot and why?

I usually plant the weekend before bow season. I dont want to disturb deer during times I can hunt them. Some say to wait for a rain forecast or milder temps. Some plant Based on the first frost. I know it depends on what you plant and there a several variables but when do you put your plots in? I have had several plots burn up and have some that did great.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Last few years been planting oats and usually wait until late Sept to mid october based solely onto moisture. I find it you pl lant to early they become to big unpalatable early. Aslo dry at early season

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Usually late August. Last couple of years it got too dry , too fast. So this year we’ve decided on planting the weekend after the bow opener.

And as everyone can see , LOL , it’s raining way more than usual “this” year.

Still we’ll give late September a shot.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mid to late September if it's a dry year, late Sept to 1st week in October if a wet year. That's usually a mixture of grains, leafy greens and crimson clover. If I'm planting or adding to a clover patch then it's either late October or early spring on a warm day. Frost seeding I can do in the early spring but unless I'm adding to a plot I typically don't use that method. (I do use it in my yard).

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Right around the bow opener. Any earlier and it’s awful hot and dry. I would go later, but some of them I like to bowhunt. I like to plant all at one time for convenience. Regardless of what I’m planting. Haul the tractor and implements up there and knock it out in a day.

We usually have a few decent rains in mid-September. Part of the decision about planting is when you want to hunt over it. I agree that it is most palatable when it is young, but they still eat it just fine later in the season.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Coastal/Piedmont area...I aim for mid August with the non cereal grains and mid to late September for the rye and wheat. However, last year's drought has me gun shy this year, and I planted mine 2 weeks ago to take advantage of the good rain. The cereal grains will still go in at the normal time.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I will be planting brassicas this weekend, weather permitting. I typically try to do clover, alfalfa or oats the last week of August or first week of September. Stokes and Surry County.