When are we gonna get a summer survey report?

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
"...the relatively low turkey reproduction observed in 2016, 2017, and 2018 may lead to lower population and harvest levels in the next few years."

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
"
Productivity statewide was estimated to be 1.8 poults per hen (Table 2),but was slightly higher in the coastal region than in the piedmont or mountains (2 Sample T-test; p<0.01). Productivity was estimated to be 1.9 poults/hen in the coastal region and 1.7 poults/hen in both the piedmont and mountain regions. From a biological standpoint, these estimates are very similar. Poult survival statewide (estimated number of poults for hens with at least one poult) was 3.5 and likewise very similar across the regions.
Our estimates of turkey reproduction this year are relatively low in comparison to what we’ve observed over the course of the last decade, but generally comparable to estimates during the last 3 years. During the last 10 years, productivity estimates have been as high as 2.7 poults per hen (Figure 4) and estimates of poult survival have been as high as 4.0 poults per hen with poults (Figure 5)."

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yeah if it were not for the advanced techniques nobody could ever kill one. the population is so low from all these bad hatches.

wiping them out is what is happening. too easy to killem.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I can't speak for rest of state but in mtns 2017 was very poor for me in sightings of young birds so I have genuine concern for this spring. My concern becoming more real as last fall people I know that hadvtrail cams over corn saw very few Jake's one atea in Wilkes that usually has decent bird numbers not one fall Jake on camera or seen in fields. I know their can still be pockets of birds that did well so I may either have to double down on my spring scouting or head little east. I am making out state plans as back up in case.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
https://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Species/Birds/Wild-Turkey#2489432-surveysbr-research

finally got the email

"participants reported 0.52 gobblers for each hen. This ratio is one way to help understand whether or not too many gobblers are being killed during the hunting season. Information from this survey indicates that additional pressure should not be placed on the male segment of the turkey population by increasing season length, opening the spring season earlier, or increasing the bag limit."