When are restaurants going to learn?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I have to wonder when these eating establishments are going to really learn how to take care of a customer. I am not impressed that you can take my order without writing anything down. Because when you bring my food out, my order is usually wrong and you can't remember who got what. And God forbid we have to split the check 2 or 3 ways. This really confuses the crap out them.

Write my order down on piece of paper, bring me what I ordered and hand it to the right person. Too easy.

I like Chili's. They have an Ipad you order from. It never gets my order wrong.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My guess is they won't because you keep coming and they are making money.

I have had my order get messed up when it was written down too

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...I am not impressed that you can take my order without writing anything down. Because when you bring my food out, my order is usually wrong...
You hit the nail on the head. The last two times for me that they committed it to memory it was wrong. Then when you tell them, there is no hand written order to prove you are right.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Maybe you should get an order pad and write it down for them from now on..... just hand your order to them on paper.... maybe they will get the hint

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Just eat what you're given and be thankful
So if you pay to get the oil changed in your car, but they only rotate the tires, are you going to be thankful and carry on?

I pay for a service. I expect it to be done right. Mistakes happen and I don't care about honest mistakes. But when its completely avoidable, then it irks me.

Yesterday was the first time I had eaten at a reataurant in 4 months. It will probably be another 4 months before I venture back to one.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I go out of my way to be easy with servers. It usually works great for them and me.
Sunday though an easy request for white meat chicken became an ordeal.
My MIL was pretty upset and it wasn't even her meal. :)
The server was new we think as we go a lot to the place ; but we don't want her next time. :)

Related story. We listened to a waitress tell of a party requesting 40 accomodations and changes for one table.
As many stories as we may have on poor service they have their share of awful customers as well.
some even purposely try and complicate things, then lie to try and get comped for the food.
"That aint what I ordered."

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't eat out very much but I've been very fortunate only very few rare occasions had bad waitress/service they always made it right and just pray without tampering

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Do what I do, cook/eat your own meals at home. The biggest reason why I don't eat out alot is 1 in 3 times I'll have bad customer service whether its just going through the drive thru at a fast food joint or a sit down place. At least at home, I can blame myself and not some other slow moving, non-caring minimum wage workers.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I go out of my way to be easy with servers. It usually works great for them and me.

This almost always works.

If you want the check split, it's best to make that clear to your server while ordering. If you don't, it's fair for the server to assume one bill for the table. And no, you shouldn't ask for an appetizer or queso to be split 4 ways...

Also, part of being able to afford to eat out includes being able to tip appropriately for good service.

You can tell a LOT about someone by the way he treats a waitress or waiter...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
There are very few places I go out anymore.

Just hard to order food and pay for it only to be sick later from their food.

Just the other day there was a deal where the guy was putting rat poison in food just for fun..... ifs this the place you want to eat...
Others wacking off in the food...

Yep go enjoy....

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i try to enjoy my server, see what's going on around and do my best to bring some humor to their day. The other week was picking up a coffee and the person in front of me was giving the poor woman a heck of a time and i could see she was frustrated with the customer. I asked for a large coffee 1 milk, but i want the milk separate and layered half way in my coffee. She looked puzzled, looked at the cup, looked at the coffee, then looked at me and my SE grin and burst out laughing

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Interesting, generally I don't have that problem.

It could be the local Sports Bar down the road or a nice dinner for our Anniversary. When I have a "problem" it's usually because the server goofed and forgot the food.

More often its a so-so server that doesn't come by often enough if I want a refill or a condiment.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
There are very few places I go out anymore.

Just hard to order food and pay for it only to be sick later from their food.

Just the other day there was a deal where the guy was putting rat poison in food just for fun..... ifs this the place you want to eat...
Others wacking off in the food...

Yep go enjoy....
you're scaring me.
didn't you used to be in the restaurant trade?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
you're scaring me.
didn't you used to be in the restaurant trade?
Yep for a long time.

There is no way I would go back other than an open dinner were everything can be seen and viewed.
Sucked having to put cameras everyplace to keep people from taking stuff, giving stuff away or drinking.
Fo the most part you need eyes everyplace. The best being family and close friends that watch for you.
Big chain stores have a big problem because they employee too many people to track.
If I go someplace it is a smaller place, open kitchen, family run and so on.

Yes you got to eat out but knowing where and how can make it better.

PSell

Four Pointer
So if you pay to get the oil changed in your car, but they only rotate the tires, are you going to be thankful and carry on?

I pay for a service. I expect it to be done right. Mistakes happen and I don't care about honest mistakes. But when its completely avoidable, then it irks me.

Yesterday was the first time I had eaten at a reataurant in 4 months. It will probably be another 4 months before I venture back to one.
It was a joke

specialk

Twelve Pointer
theres a place done here, seafood, mostly shellfish and low country boil type fare....they use heavy white roll paper over the entire table for easy cleanup. they will write your order down on that paper and then write it down on there pad......never had a problem....

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I’d say that if you’re one of those people that can’t get good service a majority of the time it’s probably on you. Try being friendly with the server and not talking to them like they are 5 years old. Works for me, order is almost never wrong. And because of my job I eat out a LOT.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We eat at a handful of local restaurants on a regular basis, the staff know us and we know them. My local breakfast place waitress knows what I'm ordering as I walk through the door, including an extra egg for the dog.

Having a friendly relationship with the staff goes a long way in reducing problems......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
theres a place done here, seafood, mostly shellfish and low country boil type fare....they use heavy white roll paper over the entire table for easy cleanup. they will write your order down on that paper and then write it down on there pad......never had a problem....
I like that approach.

Cam

Four Pointer
Some folks start looking for something to complain about no matter the situation. Very seldom does my family have a problem when out to eat. What does aggravate me is at fast food when ordering they cut you off to ask a question instead of listening or ask you to repeat your order because they were distracted.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Some folks start looking for something to complain about no matter the situation. Very seldom does my family have a problem when out to eat. What does aggravate me is at fast food when ordering they cut you off to ask a question instead of listening or ask you to repeat your order because they were distracted.
they can be a challenge. the same meal in a local wendys never ever costs the same two trips in a row. I just have to laugh it is so silly.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I spent my late teens as a food server. I seriously doubt ANY other job involves the COMPLETE landscape of clientele as a food server. It should be printed on money. They have personal interactions with ALL races, creeds, genders, religions, sexual identity, ages, alcohol levels, etc EVERY SINGLE day as customers!!!

Can you imagine if you had to?

Yes, they will and do make mistakes. My wife is an accountant, I can't tell you how many times she has ordered "10" wings, and only been served 9. That is NOT the food servers fault, but she brings it to her attention, who then tells the kitchen, who then acts shocked someone counted.

Wrong food brought to wrong tables is a HUGE failure. Most likely a bad food server. I wouldn't write off a place because I had one bad employee (making $2.11 plus tips) one time. A second time? I'm gone.

I don't know where Tipmoose goes that has tightened down on the little rug rats running around. I know it ain't McDonalds!!! But I do agree with him that adults SHOULD keep complete and total control of their youngins while at an establishment.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I always treat the servers well; I know I couldn't / wouldn't do their jobs, no way I could deal with the clientele.

(And I'd be willing to pay a little extra to dine at a place that placed restrictions on rug rats behavior........)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
don't know where Tipmoose goes that has tightened down on the little rug rats running around. I know it ain't McDonalds!!! But I do agree with him that adults SHOULD keep complete and total control of their youngins while at an establishment.

ppssstt,,,Adults don't eat at McDonalds,,,,,