Whats Your Favorite Position???

ditchbank

Banned
I know most like to be on there butt with legs used as a shooting rest facing the way the bird is coming from. But I read that you should face 90 degrees away from your shooting position to allow your self to be able to shoot to the right more if your right handed. If you facing the direction the bird or birds are coming from and they move to your extreme right you can get into position without them seeing you. Any advise.
Does anybody keep their legs down and use shooting sticks? Indian style?

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The one I need to be in...I know, I know...it's a vague answer. But like with every thing else in turkey hunting, the only correct answer is--"It just depends"

Different situations call for different answers. I usually don't worry about it to much, my gun, and myself, are amphibious;)

sent from wherever I is

DWATT

Six Pointer
I agree with QBD2. It depends on the situation. I would prefer sitting with my knees up and used for a rest, but sometimes this is not possible due to the terrain. I have killed birds on my knees, lying in the prone position, and some even standing behind a tree. I try to deal with the card that i am dealt.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
The correct position for me is the one where my cheek is on the stock, my finger on the trigger, and my sights on his neck. :D Seriously a turkey killer has to adapt to whatever it takes. Like others I have killed them sitting, standing, prone, kneeling, and one while kneeling on both knees with no pants or shoes on. :D

buckmaster79

Yes it depends on situation and yes I do sum time us shooting sticks helps when your calling and shooting that way u don't have to put your gun down to use your calls

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
In all seriousness, I just sit in the direction I expect a turkey to come. I'll move as needed as the situation changes.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Ditch, to be more specific, if the direction you are facing is 12 o'clock...I want them to come in about 10-11...

This is a good reason to learn to use a mouth call...I start with a box or a slate, get set up and wait...When I
feel they are getting close, I use the mouth call to try to get a read on where they are and make my adjustment
before I can see them...This way, if all goes well, I only have to move the muzzle a few inches to get on them...

ditchbank

Banned
Ditch, to be more specific, if the direction you are facing is 12 o'clock...I want them to come in about 10-11...

This is a good reason to learn to use a mouth call...I start with a box or a slate, get set up and wait...When I
feel they are getting close, I use the mouth call to try to get a read on where they are and make my adjustment
before I can see them...This way, if all goes well, I only have to move the muzzle a few inches to get on them...

That's my question. You answered it. Set up almost 90 degrees so you can still make that shot to the right if need be. I understand that sometimes it doesn't happen like that and you have to shot from your belly, knees, etc, etc. but most of the time when already set up and waiting you don't want to be facing head on in case the birds swings way out to your right.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
a nice skill to develop is shooting from your off shoulder.

Since i practiced this i have not had to use it.

prior to that they did it all the time. :)